Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Murphy's Law or Shoulda' seen it comin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, custom intake and breather, Mean Green Starter, Jeep (tm) flexplate
Unhappy Murphy's Law or Shoulda' seen it comin?

Normally I NEVER shop a vehicle, but I had the XJ towed from where it stalled on the interstate to a family friends shop.

I didn't expect the phone call I received today. Nor was I prepared...

Say hello to Murphy's Law -

Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKS/CAS/CPS - not sure abbrev. for this)
replaced as of this morning

Distributor inspected - found with points laying inside, condenser was brown

Plugs and wires inspected - found with wired ends cracking (fairly new, junk)
found with a couple plugs nice and black
not replaced yet

XJ still not working - they probe further

Starter inspected - found to be seizing, bad enough it squeaked

Flywheel Inspected - found with approx. 15 to 25 teeth with moderate to severe damage
unconfirmed at this time but possibly warped

Let me end with....what do I need to prepare for next?

Here, I ask you, the great - CherokeeForum.com,
Thoughts - Concerns - SUGGESTIONS anything will help!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Okay. Murphy's law.
They're gonna' hit you with:
Fuel pump;
Fuel filter;
PCM;
Battery;
Untold relays/fuses;
Fusible Links;
Cracked flexplate;
Head gasket;
Transmission/drivetrain issues;
I'll stop now before I get carried away.
Seriously though, you need to find a local mechanic/garage that is trust-worthy and take your Jeep to them. And stick with them.
Dan
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM

Engine: 4.0L, custom intake and breather, Mean Green Starter, Jeep (tm) flexplate

This shop is VERY trust worthy, even do most if not all of the local city vehicles and some county fire trucks there. The parts were def. not caused by the shop or myself. I was had when i bought it. I am just trying to further prepare for the future. BTW, the Jeep did run quite well before the shut down on the interstate. No knocking, no tings, and NO LEAKS. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

your xj is a 96? If so the first clue is the points laying aside,is this your words or there's,your xj does not have points. Can you do this work or inspections your self?you said you do not normally take your cars to a shop,I do not trust most mechanics,even though my son is one,I say that because here in ca the smog laws make it easy for some shops to get away with anything.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepDreems
This shop is VERY trust worthy, even do most if not all of the local city vehicles and some county fire trucks there.
That statement carries no weight with me. I wouldn't trust the county to work on my lawn mower.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Working on county vehicles mean there used to people dishing money...no no no... and hot shotting parts also your starter did not leave u sitting on the side of the road... nor the flywheel missing teeth... that only means it wouldnt turn the motor over...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 PM

I believe you're correct, that is MY mistake though. Electronic ignition parts that STILL resemble that of P&C systems...its just slightly better... you get the jist here....they shouldn't be in pieces in the cap NOR should the rotor be BROWN!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Normally I NEVER shop a vehicle, but I had the XJ towed from where it stalled on the interstate to a family friends shop.

I didn't expect the phone call I received today. Nor was I prepared...

Say hello to Murphy's Law -

Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKS/CAS/CPS - not sure abbrev. for this)

Distributor inspected - found with points laying inside, condenser was brown

Plugs and wires inspected - found with wired ends cracking (fairly new, junk)
found with a couple plugs nice and black
not replaced yet

XJ still not working - they probe further

Starter inspected - found to be seizing, bad enough it squeaked

Flywheel Inspected - found with approx. 15 to 25 teeth with moderate to severe damage
unconfirmed at this time but possibly warped

Let me end with....what do I need to prepare for next?

Here, I ask you, the great - CherokeeForum.com,
Thoughts - Concerns - SUGGESTIONS anything will help!
Wait a minute. This is a 96 right? OBDII technology, right. What is with the points and condenser?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
Working on county vehicles mean there used to people dishing money...no no no... and hot shotting parts also your starter did not leave u sitting on the side of the road... nor the flywheel missing teeth... that only means it wouldnt turn the motor over...

I probably SHOULD mention the fact that the mechanic is fairly well known locally, more importantly - worked for the local Jeep dealership 20+ yrs, retired, and couldn't stop working on vehicles (mostly Jeep) so he works in the "reputable" shop that my Jeep is at. Sorry, I always feel that I put too much - kinda left that part out in beginning thread.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Wait a minute. This is a 96 right? OBDII technology, right. What is with the points and condenser?

yea that was my f@&# up sorry - made myself look RREEAALL dumb lol
Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

You need to get a FSM or Haynes manual for your vehicle and read it and know what makes your Jeep work. I'm just saying, if you can't, or don't like doing work/maintenance on your Jeep, you should find an honest shop near you and take it to them so you don't get the shaft.JMO
Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
That statement carries no weight with me. I wouldn't trust the county to work on my lawn mower.

agreed...there is no such thing as a trust worthy mechanic besides your own self...

the way they work is, the more stuff they replace, the more they make..

i hate mechanics....all they do is **** me off...

they are going to tell you a whole bunch of crap like ol' blue told you, and they are going to charge you for all of it........when you could look at the same stuff yourself, put it on for free, and buy the part for half the price the mechanic would charge for it, bc, he needs to make a prophet off the parts...so naturally he is going to charge you more then you could buy the part for at your local parts store

Originally Posted by ol"blue
You need to get a FSM or Haynes manual for your vehicle and read it and know what makes your Jeep work. I'm just saying, if you can't, or don't like doing work/maintenance on your Jeep, you should find an honest shop near you and take it to them so you don't get the shaft.JMO
Got one the day I bought it, I do most work myself BUT as I said - gut feeling said it was gonna be a few more specialty tools than what my Craftsman Box can handle. I admit to making myself look REALLY bad, it happens. I just hope to get it back on the road soon - I've been a little lost without my Jeep.
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

yea that was my f@&# up sorry - made myself look RREEAALL dumb lol
Ok so you trust your mech,that is fine,to answer your original question,if everything you say is wrong,prepare yourself for alot more,it sounds like to me your jeep was rode hard and put up very wet,if the dist came apart inside like it sounds,it has seen some abuse,meaning lack of preventive maint.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by drummerwookie
agreed...there is no such thing as a trust worthy mechanic besides your own self...

the way they work is, the more stuff they replace, the more they make..

i hate mechanics....all they do is **** me off...

they are going to tell you a whole bunch of crap like ol' blue told you, and they are going to charge you for all of it........when you could look at the same stuff yourself, put it on for free, and buy the part for half the price the mechanic would charge for it, bc, he needs to make a prophet off the parts...so naturally he is going to charge you more then you could buy the part for at your local parts store

There is the catch, the shop is CLOSELY connected to said family friend. I was told to purchase parts and they will install at set hrly rate. (also left out from beginning thread)

Quick Reply: Murphy's Law or Shoulda' seen it comin?