Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Multiple Misfire detected

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Multiple Misfire detected

97 4.0L SE
Typical rough idle, poor/choppy acceleration that one would expect with a miss. For what it's worth this coincided with an Alternator replacement. Charging system working fine after replacement.

CEL shows it's cylinders 3 & 4. It's not ignition related. I've replaced plugs and wires cleaned the Distributor cap and replaced roter. It has a single coil that controls the fire for all 6 cylinders.
I don't believe it to be fuel related. I replaced the injectors for both holes. It could be pulse timing, but this seems unlikely, and I have no way checking this. I would think the computer would be able to tell me if it where something like this with the injectors. I've done a hot soak thinking maybe it was deposit build up this did nothing. I'm at a loss now, The next logical thing I can think of is a valve issue of some sort. Possibly collapsed lifters? I haven't pulled the valve cover to see what they are doing when running.

I don't hear any intake leaks, and misting carb cleaner around the intake and vacuum lines does not change idle speed.

Any ideas what to do next?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

You should replace the cap when replacing the plugs, wires, and rotor. Cleaning the cap may not be enough. Check it for any visible cracks as the spark could jump from one terminal to another. I would replace it regardless as you already replaced the rest of it. Caps are cheap.

I dont recommend driving it with a misfire either as that is very bad for the engine. Any engine for that matter.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 12-31-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hmmm. Did you pull plug wires for the alt replacement? Might have gotten them swapped.

I agree with fb, if you didn't replace the cap, that's a must.

Otherwise, valves are a possibility, as you mentioned.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the cap to be on the safe side. Didn't change anything. I pulled my service manual and made sure all the wires were connected in the proper order. No one has any other ideas what could be wrong?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Compression test?