Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

multiple issues on my 98 xj

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default multiple issues on my 98 xj

In the past 2 months i had to replace the cat and it was clogged beyond belief i then took the muffler off and put a straight pipe on as of lately ive been smelling fireworks every so often while im diving second issue is i keep getting check engine lights on for cylinder 1 and 2 missfires i have replaced all plugs and wires cap and rotor issue 3 is the other code it throws is for MAF sensor correct me if im wrong but i believe i do not have a mass air flow sensor on my 4.0 my jeep runs fine other then lately ive been having issues with it starting i have to crank it longer now but only the first time i start it after a few hours of sitting ive been told that the misfire could be the head gasket or since the cat was clogged so bad that it sent exhaust back into the motor and i have two cylinders that are pretty much done and should start looking for a new motor any other suggestions please let me know
Old 07-22-2016, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jeeper8563
In the past 2 months i had to replace the cat and it was clogged beyond belief i then took the muffler off and put a straight pipe on as of lately ive been smelling fireworks every so often while im diving second issue is i keep getting check engine lights on for cylinder 1 and 2 missfires i have replaced all plugs and wires cap and rotor issue 3 is the other code it throws is for MAF sensor correct me if im wrong but i believe i do not have a mass air flow sensor on my 4.0 my jeep runs fine other then lately ive been having issues with it starting i have to crank it longer now but only the first time i start it after a few hours of sitting ive been told that the misfire could be the head gasket or since the cat was clogged so bad that it sent exhaust back into the motor and i have two cylinders that are pretty much done and should start looking for a new motor any other suggestions please let me know
The code is probably for a MAP sensor, your jeep won't have a MAF. How's the fuel pressure?