Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

motor mounts wont line back up help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default motor mounts wont line back up help!!

i just got some ironman motor mounts and when i got my old mounts out i cant lift my engine back up to put the pin back it. it is definetly way off because i can see the hole for the pin on the mount when i jack the engine up all the way.
what i think the problem is, is the the new mount is too wide or my jack is just not big enough. but it is making terrible noises when its jacking up so im thinkin its the mount
is there anyway to spread apart the 2 thing coming off of the engine to make if fit. or should i take the other mount off. i have no idea what to do because its my first motor mound job. any ideas?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

use a bottle jack on the side you need to raise. if you lift it from where the pan bolts up you'll be fine. you did only remove one side at a time right?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 PM

yeah i have the drivers side off right now and its just sitting at my friends house
so your saying jack up where the oil pan bolts up on that side?
thanks for the quick response
Old 04-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I'm sure you've got the mounts in now but, yes where the bolts hold the pan to the block. if your jack can't get in there you can use a piece of wood as a spacer. it doesn't take much lifting force to get the engine up where it needs to be sitting.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

man i tell you what it was a pain in the butt when i replaced my motor mount... this is what i did jacked it up removed bolt, removed motor mount, then dropped motor all the way down so that the weight of the motor slid into the mount an then jacked it up again it will help to have another person with you to do it but we got it in
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 PM

haha yeah i finally got them in this morning but i just have to say i will never get aftermarked motor mounts again. they had a 1/4" lift on them so it took me about 3 hours to get each mount in and most of the time i was just trying to line everything up the whole time. then after i got everything back together i had to rip the plastic fan guard thing off because my fan hit it and im afraid that my engine is rubbing against the hood when i close it. but at least it fixed my driveline vibes and my shift **** shaking all the time.

Last edited by chadrenner69; 04-24-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

+1 pass motor mound was 10 mins driver mount took me over 2 hours to get it to align. Use a pin or a screwdriver when you have it semi aligned and pry around till the bolt sneaks in and hammer it a little to give it some convinving. For me it was a 30min job max that turned into a long project i was cussin a storm lol.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

Mine were the same way, I just grinded the mount down alittle till it fit.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 AM

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by chadrenner69
haha yeah i finally got them in this morning but i just have to say i will never get aftermarked motor mounts again. they had a 1/4" lift on them so it took me about 3 hours to get each mount in and most of the time i was just trying to line everything up the whole time. then after i got everything back together i had to rip the plastic fan guard thing off because my fan hit it and im afraid that my engine is rubbing against the hood when i close it. but at least it fixed my driveline vibes and my shift **** shaking all the time.
If you used aftermarket poly motor mounts most will not fit without trimming either the engine bracket or the sides of the mount. I trimmed the sides of my new Currie mounts in about 5 minutes and the engine dropped right in with no issues at all. Are you sure you didn't get raised mounts?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 PM

haha yeah they were raised mounts thats what the problem was
i just didnt realize they were raised until after i got them in and the fan was grinding against the little plastic piece above it