Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

motor changeout: automatic to stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default motor changeout: automatic to stick

Thanks to members Jimbo Slice and another that helped me with my previous problem. So I'm in the process of pulling the broken 4.0 motor on my '95 XJ
5-speed stick trans. I bought a '94 motor that was attached to an automatic. Don't have it home yet. I don't quite got a vision handle on the mate up of (what was an auto motor to stick trans. Both have(had) bell housing. The auto had a torque converter with flexplate? where as the stick will have a flywheel with pressure plate upon removal. I have changed out stick motorsxstick motors etc and know that I will have to use an input shaft (or mockup shaft piece) to line in all up.
I'm figuring if I have both with all the pieces, I should be able to bolt the motor up to the stick trans, yes? I think I remember an auto bell housing larger than a stick bell housing. So there should(must) be some holes in the back of the motor that will accept the smaller stick bell housing. I suppose that once I get the motor out and have the replacement motor there, it will all make sense?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

i think you'll need the driveshafts from the manual trans donor vehicle, as well. also the manual trans ecu. id guess with everything in front of you figuring out the rest should be fairly easy.