Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

More Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 & 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 98-4.0 & 91-4.0
Default More Q's.

Here's some newb questions.

What rides higher, a 3.5" RE or a 4.5" RC? Nearly same price, I'm just looking for clearence.

For the 4.5" RC, you have a choice of add a leafs or rear springs? Rear springs being 200 dollars more, is it worth the money and what are the differences?

I've been searching these forums for hours and RC and the RE sites. Needless to say I have found tons of information. This is just my final decision on RC/RE I just want to know the differences from a personel view. I recently went wheelin and couldn't get down a small trail then over a river due to rocks.

I would probably go with the RC's I just gotta know the difference between the 650 dollar one and the 450 one. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

im not sure about the differences in ride height but most who have gone with the aal that ive talked with have said that they wish that they would have gone with the full pack. the aal's are known to sag and when used on a worn pack there is a danger of breakage along with the quicker sagging. so if you have the abaility i say go with the full packs.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just went through this whole research and decision process you are going through and I was also considering rough country. However, I decided on the RE and I am far beyond satisfied, and believe it or not the "3.5" lift netted me just over 6", and just over 8" with my larger tires, and I went with the full leaf packs. I also got the MonoTube shocks and the ride is incredible. Check out this link I just posted pictures of the install!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/00xjcos-2000-xj-build-13647/

Get the RE lift from 4x4groupbuy.com or jeepinoutfitters.com and save a bundle!

Originally Posted by Oath
Here's some newb questions.

What rides higher, a 3.5" RE or a 4.5" RC? Nearly same price, I'm just looking for clearence.

For the 4.5" RC, you have a choice of add a leafs or rear springs? Rear springs being 200 dollars more, is it worth the money and what are the differences?

I've been searching these forums for hours and RC and the RE sites. Needless to say I have found tons of information. This is just my final decision on RC/RE I just want to know the differences from a personel view. I recently went wheelin and couldn't get down a small trail then over a river due to rocks.

I would probably go with the RC's I just gotta know the difference between the 650 dollar one and the 450 one. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Scrap the idea of the AAL's. I have the 3" RC AAL lift on my XJ and I wish I would have saved a little more for the full packs!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Ha, you were right. If I order it off 4x4groupbuy I can get it for less/same price but with free shocks that would cost me 300 dollars more at the RE site. What a deal. Hey 00XJCO, what company did you purchase your lift kit from? I'm looking on the two sites and jeepin has about 4 different RE lifts while 4x4 has one for a lot cheaper, any differences?

Last edited by Oath; 04-05-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Sorry for posting twice but RE has two different lifts, superflex and super ride, what are the differences? I still can't decide between the 4.5" RC or 3.5" RE..!

I've been looking at pictures between RC and RE and I see some small differences, I just want the lift with the best ride on/off road and highest from the ground. ( 3.5 RE/4.5 RC )

I also read that add a leafs are bad, why's that?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

One more thing to consider is once you spend the money to get the parts left out and the half-assed stuff in the RC kit.. you will have more money than you have in the RE kits to begin with....
Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Ha, you were right. If I order it off 4x4groupbuy I can get it for less/same price but with free shocks that would cost me 300 dollars more at the RE site. What a deal. Hey 00XJCO, what company did you purchase your lift kit from? I'm looking on the two sites and jeepin has about 4 different RE lifts while 4x4 has one for a lot cheaper, any differences?
I got mine from jeepinoutfitters.com, their advertised price is slightly higher than 4x4groupbuys but just mention that and they will match 4x4groupbuys prices!

Basically, the difference between the two sites is-

4x4groupbuy = free shocks, but you pay for shipping
jeepinoutfitters = free shipping, but you pay for shocks

I ordered my t-case lowering kit and axle shims from redrock4x4.com, wheels and centercaps from summitracing, and tires from treadwright!

-00XJCO
Old 04-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Seasoned Member

The more I think about it the more I need to know. According to 4x4, you can buy a 3.5" RE for 695, that's the same price as the 4.5" RC that has been upgraded to rear springs. Both now have rear springs but the RC also comes with a transfer case drop kit. Now, I don't know what shocks are better, Monotube or Nitro 9000? Wouldn't the kit that comes with the most extra stuff be the best buy? Also, do I need a SYE for a 4.5"? I keep seeing tons of people say it depends on how you drive/like it.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:58 PM

I'm not sure which are better either as I'm not familiar with the Nitro 9000 shocks, but I'm so happy with my MonoTubes I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. Now as far as the RE 3.5" and the RC 4.5", on average people get about 5.5" with the RE, I personally got just over 6" (without tires), so the actual lift you will end up should be something to consider too.

As far as the t-case drop, you can buy one for under $20 or make your own, all it is are some spacers that go between the frame and the t-case crossmember and longer bolts.

A SYE and new driveshaft is ideal, but it's not a must. I lowered my t-case 3/4" and shimmed the rear axle 2 degrees and I'm not getting any vibration from the driveline, so if money is an issue, you can do the same when you lift yours and buy the SYE and new driveshaft later if you think you need it.

-00XJCO
Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Sorry to keep asking you so many questions but, can you just tell me what RE lift you got exactly? Their are four 3.5" lifts and did you get AAL's or spring packs? Then even if you bought your lift off jeepinoutfitters wouldn't the Monotubes be an extra 250 dollars?

Last edited by Oath; 04-05-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 PM

I got the RE6025 "Super Ride" with full leaf packs. My jeep already had add a leafs because the previous owner used it to tow a heavy trailer, and the ride was terrible. From what I have heard, this is pretty common with add a leafs, and they also start to sag after a while. Any more questions feel free to ask!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Seasoned Member

How did you get the free Monotubes? I'm assuming you got em free, maybe not. I was wondering why you didn't go with 4x4 since they have them free, but maybe you got a better deal. Was also gonna ask what axle to get with the RE 6025 from 4x4 if I go with them.

Another thing would also be, I don't know a lot about jeeps so how would, (With the RE 3.5") you get extra inches on top of the 3.5"? Sorry if I don't know much. Like you said average is 5.5, how is that possible on a 3.5" lift? You said you even got 6" without tires.

What's the difference between superflex and super-ride?

Last edited by Oath; 04-05-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM

see www.jeepinoutfitters.com or www.4x4groupbuy.com

You pay for the monotubes with jeepinoutfitters and get free shipping, or

pay for the shipping from 4x4groupbuy and get free monotubes

It's basically the same deal, same price.

As far as the axle, you need to crawl underneath your jeep to determine which one you have. The dana axle has a "DANA" logo on the differential cover, and the Chrysler 8.25 has the star looking chrysler logo on the bottom of it, just underneath the pinion. That's the easiest way to tell.

As far as the 5.5" out of the 3.5" lift, I guess Rubicon Express assumes you may have some extra gear on your vehicle, like heavier aftermarket bumpers, a winch, larger spare tire, so they make their 3.5" lift more like 5.5" in actuality to accommodate for it. Over time, the springs may weaken slightly and sag just a small amount too, basically, they give you extra good parts.

The difference between Superflex and SuperRide is:

SuperFlex kits comes with control arms that have a rubber bushing on the frame end and a flex joint on the axle end. This allows for a little more articulation but the flex joint makes the ride a little rougher and more noisy. SuperFlex kits also come with sway bar disconnects.

Super Ride kits come with control arms that have rubber bushings on both ends of them. They soften the ride slightly and make it quieter, but don't allow for quite as much articulation, supposedly. I can still completely stuff my tires on either side with them. The SuperRide kits comes with fixed sway bar end links instead of quick disconnects. This will allow you to buy whatever disconnects you want later, or just bring a few wrenches with you when you go 4 wheeling and take the links out.

Both kits come with exactly the same springs and will net you the exact same amount of lift.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM

How did you get the free Monotubes? I'm assuming you got em free, maybe not. I was wondering why you didn't go with 4x4 since they have them free, but maybe you got a better deal. Was also gonna ask what axle to get with the RE 6025 from 4x4 if I go with them.

Another thing would also be, I don't know a lot about jeeps so how would, (With the RE 3.5") you get extra inches on top of the 3.5"? Sorry if I don't know much. Like you said average is 5.5, how is that possible on a 3.5" lift? You said you even got 6" without tires.

What's the difference between superflex and super-ride?
Another thought on the 3.5" lift being more like 5.5":

The RE 3.5" lift kits may lift a vehicle 3.5" higher than it's original factory specifications. Seeing that the newest XJ you could possibly get your hands on is close to 10 years old, the stock suspension may have a bit of sag in it already, so the effect of going from worn out stock components to brand new aftermarket ones gives you 5.5" of actual lift, but truly 3.5" over it's original configuration.