Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

More break help plz

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.ol renix
Default More break help plz

Ok posted last time that I broke my rear driver side bleed screw. Anyway I went to take out the wheel cylinder to replace it and I could not get the break line to break loose from the cylinder I tried PB blaster and a flare wrench, tapping on it, wiggling back and forth ect ect. So after much careful work I got it loose but the break line was rusted to the nut so it twisted and broke. So at this point I need a new wheel cylinder and break line. It is the line from the small block on the rear axel to the drivers break only about 18 inches of line. Wheel cylinder obviously I can get at a parts store....My question is where is the best place to get a break line? Would a parts store have a exact replacment for it? Or would I need to go to a junk yard? Or perhaps could a break shop bend one up for me? Any help would be great! Thanks!!!!

-Mike
Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Skreed
Ok posted last time that I broke my rear driver side bleed screw. Anyway I went to take out the wheel cylinder to replace it and I could not get the break line to break loose from the cylinder I tried PB blaster and a flare wrench, tapping on it, wiggling back and forth ect ect. So after much careful work I got it loose but the break line was rusted to the nut so it twisted and broke. So at this point I need a new wheel cylinder and break line. It is the line from the small block on the rear axel to the drivers break only about 18 inches of line. Wheel cylinder obviously I can get at a parts store....My question is where is the best place to get a break line? Would a parts store have a exact replacment for it? Or would I need to go to a junk yard? Or perhaps could a break shop bend one up for me? Any help would be great! Thanks!!!!

-Mike
for that item I would go to the dealer if you have a good parts guy they can get it right for you but the dealer is your best bet on that item
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Brake line is easy to get at an auto parts store, bring the old stuff in to match up the fittings and buy one that is the proper length. You [B]break stuff when you wheel. Your brakes stop you when you need to if they are in proper repair. Slight difference in spelling, major difference in function.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Take that steel line off. (from the wheel cylinder to the rubber hose) measure it go to the parts store and get the lengh you need. Most likley it will be a size 3 1/6 I'm sure it will be straight line so your gonna have to bend it. I bend it and cut and flare it to fit. if you never done this before than just make sure you don't kink the line or have it hanging where it will catch on something. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

i wouldnt waste my time at the dealer....stuff like that is made to length. You can rent the brake line bender and flaring tool at autozone. They will also have the 3/16 line you need. IF you dont feel like re-flaring it just take up the slack with some spirals.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:04 PM

You [b]break stuff when you wheel. Your brakes stop you when you need to if they are in proper repair. Slight difference in spelling, major difference in function.
Thank you grammar police

Okay I will hit the parts store first and see what they have to say. I have the line and wheel cylinder to test fit the fittings.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
i wouldnt waste my time at the dealer....stuff like that is made to length. You can rent the brake line bender and flaring tool at autozone. They will also have the 3/16 line you need. IF you dont feel like re-flaring it just take up the slack with some spirals.
spirals
that will give the mud and junk more to grab on to and possibly damage
fit it right you will be better off
I don't know how bad the dealer will ding you on price
but its worth a call you my get a fitted line for a few buck more than one from the parts house but no headaches trying to fit it an re flare
Old 04-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

its not hard to bend your own brake lines. just make sure you put the fitting on before you flare it!! lol
Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

there is nothing wrong with one of two spirals...i didnt mean to make a tower out of it.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
there is nothing wrong with one of two spirals...i didnt mean to make a tower out of it.
or you can just do it right
Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

lol....be nice guys.....lol
Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mike37
or you can just do it right
i agree, it was only a suggestion if the brake line is a few inches longer and the OP doesnt want to cut and re-flare. hes stands no more of a chance hurting a spiral in the line than he does the junction on the axle..........
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

A couple of points.

1. Dealer part will have the spiral gravel shield outer covering installed.
2. You can get various lengths of brake line, from 2' to 4' with ends already installed at most Auto-parts stores. Check to make sure it threads into the wheel cyl. and axle junction block. If not, adapters both male and female as well as unions, are available. If you've never used a flaring tool before, a brake line is not the time to learn how.
Play with anything else you want, but NOT your brakes!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Grammar Police Ha I like that! My kids don't.

I'm a HS teacher, just performing routine tasks
Old 04-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Ok guys Auto zone had 3/16th steel brake line already flared. It was only 4$ so I just did it by hand and it worked fine. I figured if I screwed it up only 4 bucks lost. So I got my wheel cylinder in and brake line fixed. Now to bleed the breaks tomorrow!

Quick Reply: More break help plz