Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

misfire.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default misfire.......

Yesterday I replaced the exhaust/intake manifold gasket and cleaned out the intake mani, Got it all back together and it ran alot better than before, the CEL even turned off, after about 15 minutes of idling and revving it up a bit it started missing. I pulled the connector off of each injector until I found the culpreit it was cylinder #5. I dont think its the injector for the simple fact that it ran fine for a while. I'm hopin its the plug, they havent been replaced in a while. I wont be able to get new plugs for a couple of days until then does anyone else have any ideas on what else to look out for?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Make sure all your manifold bolts are still tight... Check your rotor and cap...
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Member

We pulled the wire and it get plenty of spark my buddy can vouch for that lol I will check the bolts tho thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

You found the problem by pulling injector wires,so if there was not change in how it ran then it may be a plug,did you pull the plug? I have had the same thing happen and it was just a bad plug,the wire was fine.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Seasoned Member

no i pulled the plug n it sparks just fine.. pulled the valve cover and thr rockers are fine and the valves seem to be ok. I have no Idea whats going on. I also swapped the injector with the one from cylinder 2 and no change. So I have spark fuel and air... WTF anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Do a compression check to make sure it is not mechanical,then it will be easy to figure out,there is only a few things it can be.