Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Master or Slave Cylinder going out????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Master or Slave Cylinder going out????

Hello all. I have a 92 jeep Cherokee and am having problems with my clutch (really one of the cylinders.) Here is the low down and would appreciate some help...

1) If I come to a stop, and hold down the clutch, it sticks when I go to take off- very jerky. Sometimes it doesn't disengage at all and the jeep tries to keep on creeping forward and I have to yank it out of gear (when coming to a stop.)

2) All I have to do is pump it a couple of times and it starts working.

3) I replaced the slave cylinder last year when I replaced the clutch.

4) I bled the lines but seems to still be getting air.

5) Doesn't seem to be leaking any fluid... the reservoir is staying about the same.

6) The slave is in the tranny housing.

Has anyone else had any of these problems and what did you replace?

Does it sound like a master or slave problem?

Thanks for any help!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 PM

???
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I had the same problem with my 96 xj. however, I have the external slave. I solved the problem by replacing the whole master cylinder/slave cylinder with a complete prebled assembly. easy repair when you have an external slave. If you don't see and leak maybe its the slave in the tranny. Slaves go bad easily, I'm on my third one.
Not much help, sorry
Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 AM

I have the internal slave and sure was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the transmission again. But it is what it is.

Does anyone know where to get a "good" set of cylinders or a good brand to buy so I am not replacing them evey other year?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by stlsean
Does anyone know where to get a "good" set of cylinders or a good brand to buy so I am not replacing them evey other year?
I think the cylinders are just hit and miss, even ones that come from the dealership (OEM my ***). if you're gonna bring the tranny down maybe its time to convert to an external slave, I'm pretty sure they sell kits for that. It'll save you lots of time and frustration. My last slave cylinder swap only took 20 min.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:36 AM

Does anyone know where to get the change-over it from? Anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 AM

Year: 1989

I take it you have a BA10-5 transmission, right? Yeah, I was having the same problems with my 89 XJ, I ended up replacing the internal Slave, clutch, had the fly wheel re-surfaced and the tranny fluids drained. Its driving great now, I just wish I had an external slave cylinder... the Peugeot transmission scares me.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Does anyone know where to get the change-over it from? Anyone else had this problem?
what tranny do you have?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

X2 I'd like to get the change over myself if anyone nows where to get it.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 PM

I have an AX15
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 AM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

i have the same set up as you, mine was doing that same thing, loosing
clutch disengagement. my clutch and slave are brand new so i crossed that out, so i replaced the master and bled the fu** out of it, about a beer can full, till the air was gone. seems to be fine now.
note make sure the lines are tight at the slave.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Seasoned Member

I can't find an external slave conversion kit for you...I think I might have made that up. But, I do know that people convert them all the time. All you need is the bell housing from a 95+ ax-15, external slave, front bearing retainer, and clutch throw out bearing. You can probably find these things at a junk yard for pretty cheap (if you can find a 95+ ax-15). You also might want to get a new master cylinder because I'm pretty sure the external slave needs a different hose line than the old internal slave and I'm not sure they make one that will connect the old master and new slave.

If you search google you can probably find other forum threads or technical write ups on how to do this. It's a pretty common upgrade for hardcore jeepers.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 PM

Dan, thanks for the input and help. You are one of the few people on here that seems to really know something. It must be a bunch of kids with nothing better to do. Someone starts a thread about a jeep racing another car and there's dozens of posts. Someone has a real question and hardly nothing. Do you know of any other jeep forums for grown-ups that actually know how to turn a wrench?

Again thanks for your time and help. It is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Well I am in the same boat about the BA10/AX15 I have researched the swap and it seems that you need a whole shooting match from the bell housing back. Nothing will interchange if you want the AX15 and the external slave unit.
I have searched NAXJA and Comanche forums plus CT and XJT not to much out there from them . I did find a few threads on PBB but was not going to ask any questions over there.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 PM

Sounds like I may just drop the tranny again. It's not that big of a deal and I am just hitting 200,000 miles so I don't want to spend too much cash on a change over. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Master or Slave Cylinder going out????