Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Massive radiator leak/block failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Massive radiator leak/block failure?

I took my xj to get the radiator fixed and they told me I have a massive leak in the system and the block is showing failure and that I need a new engine? I just bought this its got 130,000 miles and I'm skeptical
They said I could fix the radiator and drive it like that but run the risk of failure.

What should I do??
Old 03-04-2019, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

What year xj and what engine ? most just replace the radiator with a new one , I would get a 2nd shop to look at it , why do you need a new engine ?
Old 03-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ExjB
I took my xj to get the radiator fixed and they told me I have a massive leak in the system and the block is showing failure and that I need a new engine? I just bought this its got 130,000 miles and I'm skeptical
They said I could fix the radiator and drive it like that but run the risk of failure.

What should I do??
The older couple I bought mine for 1500$ from also was told their XJ was in need of an engine. After 2 oil changes I've yet to see any signs of head gasket failure. 136xxx miles. no rust. completely stock and the only obvious issue was the radiator fluid under the hood spray that turned out to be the upper hose.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by tech
What year xj and what engine ? most just replace the radiator with a new one , I would get a 2nd shop to look at it , why do you need a new engine ?
They used some tool to test it for carbon monoxide and said it was showing that it was leaking exhaust Into the radiator or cooling system.
96 4.0
Old 03-04-2019, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Ok if that's why they are saying new engine , the 96 does not have a weak head that can crack so all you would need is the head gasket replaced and maybe the head resurfaced , just get a new radiator it maybe cheaper then getting the old one fixed . I would still get it checked at another shop . I'm a mechanic and there are a lot of shops that will say things to sell a job , if it's a shop you trust then ok , but talk to your friends and see what shop they trust . or you can do that job your self .
Old 03-04-2019, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 368 Likes on 328 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

They used some tool to test it for carbon monoxide and said it was showing that it was leaking exhaust Into the radiator or cooling system.
96 4.0
That has the 0630 head and not the problem-prone 0331 so that's good. TTBOMK there is nothing that could happen to the block that would cause the CO test to fail.

If you need anything at all, it's probably just the head gasket.

After you fix the radiator monitor for antifreeze leaks. If the oil or antifreeze turns sludgy stop driving immediately. Take off the radiator cap and with the fluid topped off run the engine and look for bubbles. Fluid will expand a little bit so watch out for spillage.

You can get another CO test but those guys don't sound right so try to find someone with a good history.

Then I guess it boils down to how bad is bad. I've had an infinitesimal leak for years with no other issues so I'm holding off doing anything (I have an 0331, so I'm thinking eventually). Perhaps others will comment re: how long you can get away with it or if it's worth the risk.

Head gasket replacement is time-consuming but pretty straight forward if you want to tackle it yourself, and you'd get plenty of help (in spirit, anyway) from people here because anyone with a 2000 or 2001 has either done it or will do it (Mr. Pessimist here - hope for the best but plan for the worst).
Old 03-04-2019, 02:49 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Also agree, get a second shop to take a look. Seems like a bit of a worse case scenario from the shop you took it to.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tech
Ok if that's why they are saying new engine , the 96 does not have a weak head that can crack so all you would need is the head gasket replaced and maybe the head resurfaced , just get a new radiator it maybe cheaper then getting the old one fixed . I would still get it checked at another shop . I'm a mechanic and there are a lot of shops that will say things to sell a job , if it's a shop you trust then ok , but talk to your friends and see what shop they trust . or you can do that job your self .
Well if I typed faster I could have posted sooner!
Old 03-04-2019, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Just a thought. There is another poster here who discovered his '90 XJ had an 0331 head. Check your engine and head to make sure somebody hasn't already done a switcheroo.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Agree with the general consensus.

I'd ask the shop specifically what they found. If they say the block is cracked - how did they determine this - did they find a crack they can point out to you or are they just assuming?

There's a tremendous difference between "block crack", "head crack" and "bad head gasket". A cracked block means you need a whole new engine and it's a lot of work to swap it. A cracked head can be dealt with at a much lower price and can be done without removing the engine. A head gasket saves you the $500 or so for a new head, which you'll promptly spend on machining the old one. .

These I6's are legendary for their durability - like Tech said, I'd suspect a head gasket first given nothing more than a test showing exhaust gasses in the coolant.

I would get the clear, firm answers to how they came to that diagnosis, showing you directly (if possible) what they found. If they can't or won't, definitely I'd consider a second opinion at a trusted shop that is known to do internal engine work and tell them up front that you want a thorough walk through of what they find.

Like Tech was saying, there's the shops looking to "make a sale", but also the shops that "just don't want to deal with it". The most profitable work for a shop is the common stuff like starters, alternators, water pumps, brake jobs, etc. There are (unfortunately) shops that take one look at a 20+ year old Jeep and want NOTHING to do with the rusty, frozen, difficult work and possibly difficult sourcing of parts that comes with it.

I'd look for a shop that specializes in Jeeps or at least one that is known to welcome internal engine work. I've found Yelp to be helpful with finding service professionals if you don't have a friend or relative that can vouch for a specific shop.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM

Does anybody have experience with using blue devil gasket sealer?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Nope-ity Nope Nope - do not put any of that crud in your system. Do your research, follow the advice from the extremely knowledgeable folks here and fix it *correctly*. The pour in "leak stopper" stuff is the crap that you use when you're trying to get a few more days or weeks out of a vehicle that has an appointment with the junkyard tow truck.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 & 1990

What should I do??
Ha, what would be the risk if the block was already "showing failure"?

Replace the radiator and drive & monitor it for coolant leaks etc. New radiators are available for between $60 - 200 depending your budget.