Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Making sure I buy all the right parts: rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Making sure I buy all the right parts: rear brakes

I'm redoing my rear [drum] brakes on my 98 XJ, and I want to make sure I'm buying all the right parts. I'm replacing everything, but it's hard to tell what all comes in the kits, and what I might be forgetting. Here's my recipe so far:

Brake Shoe Set Master Kit
(2) Rear Brake Drum [9 inch]
(2) Rear Brake Wheel Cylinder
Adjusting Brake Screw Kit, Left
Adjusting Brake Screw Kit, Right

I'm also picking up Rear Brake Hose At Rear Axle. Anyone know for sure this is the hose for the right side, the long one that goes from the housing on the axle out to the back of the drum? I'm asking Morris, too, just to make sure.

Anything else I'm not thinking of?
Old 09-08-2012, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

save alot of money buying local and easier to swap if wrong part...jm2cw...
Old 09-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Good thinking; I may do that. Still need to know what all to buy, though.

Last edited by 3278; 09-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

so get wrong part and wait for ups.....
Old 09-08-2012, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 3278
My local prices are about the same as Morris, who will match or beat my local prices anyway, as well as any online prices I find [like Parts Train]. Thanks, though!
what brand parts they selling you also matters .
Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks, I think I can cover "where to get" and "what brand I get" on my own. I was hoping to get some advice on which parts I need. Thanks for the assist, but don't read too much into the parts I'm linking to.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks, I think I can cover "where to get" and "what brand I get" on my own. I was hoping to get some advice on which parts I need. Thanks for the assist, but don't read too much into the parts I'm linking to.
you should be able to figure out if those parts should fit then seeing as there two different sizes of brakes on the 8.25 rear good luck
Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Why don't you upgrade & swap to discs?

I bet you it would be cheaper & better.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L HO

dont bother getting astock replacement brake hose, get a longer one in case you ever lift it. Some Dakota/Durango stock hose is a dirext bolt in and gives you extended length for lift.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM

go to NAPA"s website - see what all they stock for rear brakes for your year/model - get 1 of each - return what you don't use
Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I'm redoing my rear [drum] brakes on my 98 XJ, and I want to make sure I'm buying all the right parts. I'm replacing everything, but it's hard to tell what all comes in the kits, and what I might be forgetting. Here's my recipe so far:

Brake Shoe Set Master Kit
(2) Rear Brake Drum [9 inch]
(2) Rear Brake Wheel Cylinder
Adjusting Brake Screw Kit, Left
Adjusting Brake Screw Kit, Right

I'm also picking up Rear Brake Hose At Rear Axle. Anyone know for sure this is the hose for the right side, the long one that goes from the housing on the axle out to the back of the drum? I'm asking Morris, too, just to make sure.

Anything else I'm not thinking of?
I am about to do this exact same thing on my '98 XJ and was wondering the exact same things. I am very interested in some useful replies to this post.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
you should be able to figure out if those parts should fit then seeing as there two different sizes of brakes on the 8.25 rear good luck
That's pretty easy. I have a 9 inch [230mm] drum, so picking which of the two options I need is cake. The question is, am I buying all the parts I need. If you don't know, that's totally cool: hopefully someone else will.

Originally Posted by Big David
Why don't you upgrade & swap to discs?

I bet you it would be cheaper & better.
Way more expensive, as far as I can tell. I'm getting a full set of rear brakes for $100-$200; I can't find any way to convert to rear disks for anything like that. Do you know of one? I'd love to convert, but the cheapest options I can find are at least $400, and require modifications.

Originally Posted by RenegadeT
dont bother getting astock replacement brake hose, get a longer one in case you ever lift it. Some Dakota/Durango stock hose is a dirext bolt in and gives you extended length for lift.
The hose I need to replace is the axle hose, which doesn't change length when you lift. But my Cherokee's already lifted ~4", and doesn't have new brake lines [previous owner just kind of didn't attach them all the way] so I'm definitely going to move up to some appropriately longer braided steel lines when I can.

Originally Posted by thezfunk
I am about to do this exact same thing on my '98 XJ and was wondering the exact same things. I am very interested in some useful replies to this post.
Once I find out from Morris, I'll definitely let you know: helps to have the right shopping list, doesn't it!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L HO

The hose I need to replace is the axle hose, which doesn't change length when you lift. But my Cherokee's already lifted ~4", and doesn't have new brake lines [previous owner just kind of didn't attach them all the way] so I'm definitely going to move up to some appropriately longer braided steel lines when I can.
The hose you have pictured is the only hose in the rear brake system, it connects the hardline on the unibody to the rear axle. At the axle side of this hose is a junction block. This junction block is for the 2 hardlines that run on top of the axle tube, one to the pass. side wheel cylinder, the other to the drivers side wheel cylinder.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by RenegadeT
The hose you have pictured is the only hose in the rear brake system, it connects the hardline on the unibody to the rear axle. At the axle side of this hose is a junction block. This junction block is for the 2 hardlines that run on top of the axle tube, one to the pass. side wheel cylinder, the other to the drivers side wheel cylinder.
Ah! See, what I need is a new hardline from the junction block to the passenger side wheel cylinder. Do you know of anywhere I can buy it, or am I just going to end up having to make one / have one made?

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

Most parts stores will not have pre bent brake line. You will either need to get a roll of line and fittings, or some places have sticks of line with fittings on them already in select lengths.

Quick Reply: Making sure I buy all the right parts: rear brakes