Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default lower control arms

I am putting a 4.5 inch homemade lift on my jeep and i was wondering what kind of or what length of lower control arms i needed? and where a good place to get a pair at
Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

I would look for adjustables. As for the correct length, I can't find my chart, I'm sure somebody will post, or you could search for it on the forum.

I'm at the same point as you, have 3.5" on with 2" more in the shed. Trying to decide if I'm going to get new ADJ Control Arms or Control Arm Drops first. The CAD allows the use of stock arms to about 6".
Old 07-02-2009, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by chuckd2008
I am putting a 4.5 inch homemade lift on my jeep and i was wondering what kind of or what length of lower control arms i needed? and where a good place to get a pair at
The LCA/UCA lenght/lift chart is at the bottom of this link.http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118
Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93gc40
The CAD allows the use of stock arms to about 6".

???? how is the geometry of an axle with a CAD any different from one without it? Why would want to use the stock arms anyway, even if they fit?? They are weak, and prone to failure, ask me how I know this...Your best bet is a good set of ACAs, then you know you have what you need under your rig. Unless you are a very good welder, buy them, don't build them. A failure on a CA would be extremely bad a highway speed...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
???? how is the geometry of an axle with a CAD any different from one without it? Why would want to use the stock arms anyway, even if they fit?? They are weak, and prone to failure, ask me how I know this...Your best bet is a good set of ACAs, then you know you have what you need under your rig. Unless you are a very good welder, buy them, don't build them. A failure on a CA would be extremely bad a highway speed...
x2 or build yerself some longarms!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Great info. Help me out though. I know where the LCAs are, but not much about what they do and when you need longer ones. How much lift can you do and stick with the same LCAs? How will you know when you need longer ones?

Sorry for being so ignorant ,
s
Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by smtippin
Great info. Help me out though. I know where the LCAs are, but not much about what they do and when you need longer ones. How much lift can you do and stick with the same LCAs? How will you know when you need longer ones?

Sorry for being so ignorant ,
s
The UCA's/LCA's obviously locate the axle to the vehicle. When your Jeep is lifted, the axle is swung down/rearward in an arc, and rotated slightly lifting the pinion. Too much lift with the stock arms does three bad things. It changes the caster by excess rotation of the axle, it moves the axle rearward into the fenderwell, and because of the severe angle of the arms it adversely affects the ride and handling of the vehicle and transmits more shock into the body. JMO
Old 07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
the control arm drop lowers the arms 4 inches helping the arm geometry to be closer to stock but you can use stock arms with it. i am not a huge fan of this method and have been planing to build my own long lower arms for some time not but just cant seem to decide how i want it done if i want the y link a 3 link or a long lower and keep the uppers there is a lot to think about when designing your own stuff and then trying to build it is a differant story but i am sure you know that
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ol"blue
The UCA's/LCA's obviously locate the axle to the vehicle. When your Jeep is lifted, the axle is swung down/rearward in an arc, and rotated slightly lifting the pinion. Too much lift with the stock arms does three bad things. It changes the caster by excess rotation of the axle, it moves the axle rearward into the fenderwell, and because of the severe angle of the arms it adversely affects the ride and handling of the vehicle and transmits more shock into the body. JMO
Makes sense, but how much lift can you put on a jeep with stock LCAs? The reason I ask is that lift manufacturers sell 3" lifts with no mention of LCAs (see: http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html).

s
Old 07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Do you hear banjos?

CAD=control arm drop, OK, I thought CAD=central axle disconnect, my bad!! Still 6"s of lift on stock control arms....no thanks!!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

yeah exactly it works in theory but stock arms = poop when you build your arms are you going 4 link y link or 3 link
Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Year: 99

XJ's, Pit Bulls, Guns, and Snowboards. Have at least one of each and love em all.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

^^^^^^^^WTF IS he talking about?^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

First Day. Just getting his views out there.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by a1racer
when you build your arms are you going 4 link y link or 3 link
Y link, I just don't like the 3 link set up. I know, I have heard good things about it too, but if I'm going to build something for the suspension, it will be strong as I can possibly make it. The Y-link looks to me to be the strongest, and most dependable.