Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

low rough idle, dying when hitting the throttle unless above 1 grand

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default low rough idle, dying when hitting the throttle unless above 1 grand

ok, so I've changed the fuel filter, changed the throttle body, put new plugs in it, checked the dist. cap and wires. put a new crankshaft position sensor on it, checked the pcv valve, and checked for vac. leaks. still my jeep idles low and extrememly rough, revs up to about 2 grand then back down to low rough idle bout 3-5 hundred rpm. if I give it any gas it just dies out unless its above a certain rpm. when rpms up it sounds great. and I can give it throttle and it will hesitate before it revs. but below a certain rpm it dies out. If I get it up to bout 2000 and hold the throttle steady it will die down after a few seconds of idling steady. Dont know what to do. right now I have the fuel pump out and checking for clogged inlet filter. jus dont know what else there is?????help would be great. If someone wants to give me a call, just leave a repy in this thread and I will give my number. THANX IN ADVANCE!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:26 AM

also engine dies when applying throttle in gear. hasnt moved it a week!!!!!ARRRGH
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

sounds like the iac or the tps you could take off the idle air control motor and clean it real good its prolly carboned happend to me. Engine would race after a stall up to 2 grand and sometimes seem like its not gonna drop back down you can also try cleaning the throttle body and parts. Before u go and chase problems other people might have had and waste hundreds try what im saying check these parts and clean if needed then see if your jeep races anymore i bet it will at most barely ever race even when it dies again. The first time u start it might race for 10 seconds then drop back down then never do it again. If it still races after cleanin parts then spend if you have to
Old 10-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Originally Posted by 1992jeeper
ok, so I've changed the fuel filter, changed the throttle body, put new plugs in it, checked the dist. cap and wires. put a new crankshaft position sensor on it, checked the pcv valve, and checked for vac. leaks. still my jeep idles low and extrememly rough, revs up to about 2 grand then back down to low rough idle bout 3-5 hundred rpm. if I give it any gas it just dies out unless its above a certain rpm. when rpms up it sounds great. and I can give it throttle and it will hesitate before it revs. but below a certain rpm it dies out. If I get it up to bout 2000 and hold the throttle steady it will die down after a few seconds of idling steady. Dont know what to do. right now I have the fuel pump out and checking for clogged inlet filter. jus dont know what else there is?????help would be great. If someone wants to give me a call, just leave a repy in this thread and I will give my number. THANX IN ADVANCE!
Did u ever find out what ur problem was mines does that too still alil here and there in idle. Ill start the jeep it will be at 1000rpm then 30 seconds later drop down to what u said 4-5 hundred rpm. When i put it in gear it used to almost stall in drive then take off as you press petal for a few. Now after ive replaced the idle air control motor it seems like i only get a stall out in reverse unless i tromp on it it will then not stall and take off. I also notice when i take off in drive it dont seem to buck like before it mostly does it in reverse till i step on the petal. Lemme know man sounds like your problem is the exact same as what mine does??? Let me ask you this try taking the pcv vaccum line half off while its running im talking the tube that goes from the top of the motor to your vaccum harness take it half off at the harness end and see if you notice your jeep smoothen out or seem idle alil higher at a more normal sounding rpm im willing to bet your jeep will do the same thing mine did and sound like its running better but the problem wont be fixed which is what im still trying to do.

Last edited by 4wheeldrivenewbie; 10-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.