Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

low profile roof light question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default low profile roof light question

Im slowly working on the new 99. It came with Hella headlight housings, so I'm gonna put some good bulbs in there at some point. Possibly the IPF harness too. Im trying to keep the looks of this one as clean as possible. At first I was set on putting Hella 700 FFs on the bumper but am now reconsidering. I've always been a fan of Hella lights but am now thinking the round lights dont quite mesh with the rectangularness (if thats a word) of the vehicle.

I've been thinking about doing either 4 or 6 low profile rectangular driving lights mounted under the front factory rook rack bar. I want to retain use of the factory rack for canoes and other crap. I was thinking about getting a couple sets of these:

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/Produ...roductID=27166

from Walmart for cheap and adding heavier gauge wire and bigger wattage bulbs. I would of course use relays as well. I know they're not super high quality, but I figured with bigger bulbs/proper wiring they'd be decent. They should stay fairly protected under the rack spreader bar, but since they're cheap (i think $20/set) I'm not out a whole lot if they suck, get broken, or I dont like them.

I've seen a few pics of similar set-ups but wanted to see what folks here thought. Anyone running a similar set-up? Or am I wasting my time with cheapies? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: H.O. 4.0 I6

I bought a set of the round Pilot "driving" lights, those things SUCK man,don't waste your money on 'em, the "driving" light were far more like fog lights, I was wanting more of a pencil beam driving light, similar to the old Dayliters, and these things were definitely not what I was looking for. The walmart here sells Hella 500's, that's what I wish I would've bought instead. I really like KC's, when I get around to mounting some more lights on my xj, that's what I'm gonna go with.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. I also thought about these KC's:

http://www.kchilites.com/2X6-Long-Ra...2-P197C93.aspx

Im wanting a long rangle driving light for this roof idea, so maybe these are a better way to go. More expensive but still not bad. I rather pay a little more for quality...and these are roughly the same dimensions as the cheap pilot ones. Anyone use these KC's in the long range version?