Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loss of Power in 4-High Manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Loss of Power in 4-High Manual transmission

Hi guys, I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee manual and recently (about a month) I have had as issue with loss of power. It was most noticeable when the jeep would be in 4 High and while trying to plow/play in some snow the jeep would quickly bog down and die. Also recently while freeway driving the jeep would begin to smell like breaks. I have assumed that the clutch had been going out. Which at this point it is not the clutch. The tyranny has been dropped and compared to the new clutch the old one is only 4 thousandths of an inch off of the new one. So now I am at a loss as to where the loss of power is and where the burning smell has been coming from. the best way to describe it would be breaks but I have checked them and they are A-ok.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

sounds like a sticky brake when you start smelling the burning smell pull over or into somewhere and touch the rims if one is really hot then you have sticky brakes
Old 04-13-2017, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

My stepdad had a similar issue years ago with his 78 Ranger on the highway. Long story short, he found the parking brake was partially engaged. Thing is, he never used the parking brake.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Ill take another look at em. The tranny will be going back in and under her own power tomorrow.