Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

loss of coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default loss of coolant

hey everyone well since i bought my jeep i noticed the coolant in the recovery tank would dissapear. i also put dye in it from autozone and that didint help.
The other day i noticed a tiny hole in my muffler and it looked like water coming out when it was running..my guess is this would be the coolant.my question is could this just be a blown head gasket or is my head cracked? i do have a 2001 and have read all about it but i bought this jeep with 135k on it.. i already have a complete engine gasket kit but i dont know if i should start looking for a new head
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM

also, no coolant in my oil but cant tell for sure if there is oil in my coolant
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Year: 1998 and 1988
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by 01cherokeespot
hey everyone well since i bought my jeep i noticed the coolant in the recovery tank would dissapear. i also put dye in it from autozone and that didint help.
The other day i noticed a tiny hole in my muffler and it looked like water coming out when it was running..my guess is this would be the coolant.my question is could this just be a blown head gasket or is my head cracked? i do have a 2001 and have read all about it but i bought this jeep with 135k on it.. i already have a complete engine gasket kit but i dont know if i should start looking for a new head
little hole and water coming out of muffler is normal. Most muffler have a little drain hole so water doesn't pool inside from condensation.

CAnt find the leak? I guess its not that big. for now, I would get some of that leak stopper with little pellets in it. It works great and lubricates your water pump.

If you are not noticing anything weird with the engine, the oil or no white smoke or sweet smell coming out of the exhaust, it may be just a hose clamp leaking or the water pump seeping hole.

The heads rarely warp on those. I pulled the head out of a seized engine (HO) out of a metal scrap dumpster. I got it tested and it was perfectly straight (lucky I know). Now its on top of my 4.7stroker
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Have system pressure checked including radiator cap.Or do like countless others on here and spend hundreds of dollars and still have same issue.JM2CW.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L inline six

Drive it untill it has water in the oil. It could be the head or just the gasket. No sence in replacing the gasket if your just going to have to buy another for the head being cracked. Watch your oil closely for milky oil and low oil pressure dropping to zero at idel will be a sign that leans more towards your head. Good luck
Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 PM

I know from experience that the antifreeze disappearing and you cant find a leak anywhere but your exhaust has water coming out of it is exactly how my head crack began. But then again it may be the gasket. Do as the above has mentioned it can never hurt, although I did the same in the following order.. replace r. Cap , then the radiator, have the system pressure checked and a carbon test and it passed ! Only to have it fail a few hundred miles later
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

Could be a cracked head
could also be a leaky head gasket

Try a bottle of bars stop leak, the kind that looks like molasses with pellets in it. DO NOT use more than one bottle. This will usually stop a leaking head gasket but it will not stop a leak from a cracked head. So if this stops your coolant loss you can rule out a cracked head. It is a good diagnostic aid.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

my 00 xj sport did the same thing the head casting 0331 that they used for the 00-01 has a weak spot in the coolent passages between the 3rd and 4th cylenders and it will leak in them i let mine go too long and dropped those pistons in my oil pan. NEW HEAD!!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM

should i try bars stop leak or blue devil? and there is slight white smoke coming from tail pipe...anyone know where the casting number on the head is?
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Seasoned Member

should i try bars stop leak or blue devil? and there is slight white smoke coming from tail pipe...anyone know where the casting number on the head is?
If it is a 00-01it has the 0331 casting but just me I have seen to many cooling systems clog up from any stop leak so I fix the problem not hid it but that is all up to you
Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Seasoned Member

O and is it nocking yet
Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

should i try bars stop leak or blue devil?
Neither, find the problem & fix it before you cause more damage to the motor or stop up the heater core.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 PM

Id do nothing, like Richards said you may clog **** up, if it is the head that gasket sealer wont do nothing for it
Old 06-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Year: 1998

pressure test,pressure test

notice the amount of posts freegdr has its over 25 thousand id take his advise

either he just talks a whole lot or he knows what hes talking about or both but still id go with an informed opinion
Old 06-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Member

So what your saying is no one els. Has an informed opinion unless they have 2k post number I am an ASE certifide mech on many things and the cooling system is one of them if he has white smoke its burning coolent when oil burns its smoke has a blue smoke so yes he can pressure test it but unless its running it will hold when it is running the pressure should jump between strokes on the culprit cylenders

Quick Reply: loss of coolant