Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loose Upper Ball Joint

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Upper Ball Joint

Hey guys, I had an offset upper ball joint installed to correct the drivers tire leaning in on my 99 XJ. Unfortunately, a month later I noticed that the ball joint had swiveled around so that the tire was leaning in again. This is assuming the mechanic didn't put it in wrong in the first place and I just didn't notice. There was never any pull or wobble. The mechanic put another new one in the correct position but said the yoke hole had worn enough that he could tap the ball joint in with a hammer and a press was not needed. He recommended a couple of tack welds to keep it positioned correctly.

I've see lots of discussion on this problem but not much long-term follow-up on safety or success. Half the guys say tack weld it and the other half say its not safe. It seems my options are another axle, tack welds for the current situation, or finding a larger ball joint that fits snug. Also read of adding Locktite 660.

I called MOOG, whose I read were oversized, but I was told the normal joint (K3134T) is 1.798 inches and their offset (K100198) is 1.750. This is smaller than a normal one from Autozone and an offset one from NAPA, both of which are 1.811. The NAPA one is the currently installed one that probably is not fitting tightly enough. Does anyone know of a larger one?

So any experience or advice on the weld solution would be appreciated. And I wonder the chances that a junkyard axle has the same worn yoke issue. Any other options come to mind?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 AM

Ttt
Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I've tacked em in and wheeled the hell out of em with no issues. The knuckles wear out and the balljoints slip in and out. Common issue. When it's time to change BJ's, just grind the welds and it comes right out.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:56 PM

Thank you EZ. Did you tack them in with an arc welder or mig welder? I don't weld and the two welders I've talked to so far weren't keen on the idea. Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I mig'd em in 4 spots