Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking for new stock leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Looking for new stock leaf springs

I put a two inch lift on my 89' xj (spacers and and shackles) and the leafs springs are laying flat so since they're so worn out I'll just get new ones but I don't have the money to lift it any higher atm so I'm just going to get stock leafs. I found two places to get them one being ebay called Crown for 153 with no protection plan for both and rockauto is the other for 200 for both with a 5 year protection plan. I'm not sure which to get or if they're are better ones out there I haven't found, does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2017, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

The dorman on amazon i got and am happy with them yhe crown and dorman are one inch lift over stock so be mindful of that.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got the Dorman ones on mine, sits higher in the rear as stated but it's settled some. Rides fine.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

These are suppose to restore to original height. They offer 3 different weight capacities.
https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-539.htm
Old 04-10-2017, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Get the dorman ones off of Amazon.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

Originally Posted by EZEARL
These are suppose to restore to original height. They offer 3 different weight capacities.
https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-539.htm
This is what I was going to say. I think the heaviest rated ones are upcountry replacements which will lift an inch over normal stock height.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I just installed the Crowns. They ride about 2" high. Also, the Crowns do not come with the bushings included. They have to be bought separately. The Dormans come with the bushings installed. I was not able to get the rear bushings to go in. Had to take them to a specialty spring shop, which had a hard time with them despite being pros and having a 100 ton press. Cost me $50.

On the other hand.... I got to see the Dorman, Crown, and my original shackles side by side. The Crown are the same as the OEM, but the Dorman are clearly inferior. Much thinner metal, and the weld is of poor quality and there is less area welded.

If that quality difference holds true for the springs, I would choose to buy Crown and pay to have the bushings put into the Crown.

So, there you go - conflicting information!

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 04-10-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I just installed the Crowns. They ride about 2" high. Also, the Crowns do not come with the bushings included. They have to be bought separately. The Dormans come with the bushings installed. I was not able to get the rear bushings to go in. Had to take them to a specialty spring shop, which had a hard time with them despite being pros and having a 100 ton press. Cost me $50.

On the other hand.... I got to see the Dorman, Crown, and my original shackles side by side. The Crown are the same as the OEM, but the Dorman are clearly inferior. Much thinner metal, and the weld is of poor quality and there is less area welded.

If that quality difference holds true for the springs, I would choose to buy Crown and pay to have the bushings put into the Crown.

So, there you go - conflicting information!
Crown for the win! I'm using Crown to rebuild my XJ.