Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking to buy a jeep...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking to buy a jeep...

Hello, looking for any help I can get here.

I'm a college student lacking funds. I don't intend on turning my future jeep into any sort of off-road machine like I see alot of you guys do, I just want a daily driver.

I'm trading in my cougar, I'm done driving fast and just want something a big more comfertable. I think I'll get around 2k for the coug, and can throw in a little more, so my price range is somewhere aruond 4k.

I've been searching autotrader, and it appears I can get a cherokee or grandcherokee with around 90-100k miles and maybe as new as 2003. I'd prefer to not getting anything older then 1998 or so.

My questions are what will the maintenance be like on a vehicle like this? Are there common problems? How many more miles can I expect my jeep to go before its gotta go to the shop every month? Any other advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by umdterp87
Hello, looking for any help I can get here.

I'm a college student lacking funds. I don't intend on turning my future jeep into any sort of off-road machine like I see alot of you guys do, I just want a daily driver.

I'm trading in my cougar, I'm done driving fast and just want something a big more comfertable. I think I'll get around 2k for the coug, and can throw in a little more, so my price range is somewhere aruond 4k.

I've been searching autotrader, and it appears I can get a cherokee or grandcherokee with around 90-100k miles and maybe as new as 2003. I'd prefer to not getting anything older then 1998 or so.

My questions are what will the maintenance be like on a vehicle like this? Are there common problems? How many more miles can I expect my jeep to go before its gotta go to the shop every month? Any other advice would be great. Thanks.
well if you get the cherokee with the 'straight 6' it will last forvever... they are literally tanks and they will go for 300,000 + alot of them you cant go wrong buyin one of them as for the grandcherokee in my opinion they are a more luxery car with less relailbality and off-road potential they are tough cars and you cant go wrong with jeep but id go with like a 99-00 cherokee sport.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0
Default welcome to the forum...

just keeping up with routine maintenance with whichever heep you buy will help to keep it on the road longer; don't neglect it. grand cherokees will give you the best comfort between the two, and maybe a little more cabin space. being that you're a po-boy college student i'd stay away from the V-8/quadratrac found in grand cherokees they suck the gas down. other than that it's just a matter of finding the right combination of price,mileage, and condition. make sure everything works before you cough up the dough!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 PM

hi u there