Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Locking the Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Locking the Front Axle

I would like to have a front locker in the future for the front axle. I do know that lockers in front, when driving on ice, can get a little sketchy. With out the ability to unlock the front with hubs, you are locked all the time. This doesnt sound like a good idea, that being said, did the xjs ever come with a limited slip up front and is this a better way to go. I need to be able to drive in the snow and ice without issues.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jager
I would like to have a front locker in the future for the front axle. I do know that lockers in front, when driving on ice, can get a little sketchy. With out the ability to unlock the front with hubs, you are locked all the time. This doesnt sound like a good idea, that being said, did the xjs ever come with a limited slip up front and is this a better way to go. I need to be able to drive in the snow and ice without issues.
a locker up front wouldnt hurt you in the snow and ice unles you didnt have it in 4x4 but if you are driving in conditions like that you should
were did you get that info from

a locker in front is hard on the the pavement and makes turning feel odd
Old 03-26-2009, 01:55 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

your best bet would be to get a Lunchbox style locker. Something like an Aussie Locker works pretty good.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

launchbox locker? please inform me.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lunch box locker is slang for a drop in auto locker, such as a Loc-Rite, Aussie, etc... Auto meaning that when enough power is applied to the drive train, it locks automatically. You have a lot less control over them, but they are far lees expensive than a selectable one is. Selectable lockers are just that, selectable. You can unlock them by throwing a switch, or a lever, depending on the model. At that point you basically have an open differential like you do now. HTH!!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Jager, what year is your XJ? If you have the vacuum disconnect front axle that helps prevent tire wear a little bit when in 2WD....but, not much. It would also help you with better stability on icey roads when in 2WD. In 4WD drive you're locked and loaded and you just have to be very very careful on icey roads. Now, the front locker will help you go like a scalded Jackalope in deep snow.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM

Well to be honest with you, I dont have an xj yet. Im trolling on here and trying to figure out what to look for when I start looking. Which well be this weekend. Just sold my sammy, so now the search is on. Thats why I have so many questions about axles and tc's. It sounds like I want to avoid the vacuum disconnect axles and look for a 242 tc The way the 242 sounds, it looks like a better case for me. Ive also been trying to find out if I should go auto or manual?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Jager, what year is your XJ? If you have the vacuum disconnect front axle that helps prevent tire wear a little bit when in 2WD....but, not much. It would also help you with better stability on icey roads when in 2WD. In 4WD drive you're locked and loaded and you just have to be very very careful on icey roads. Now, the front locker will help you go like a scalded Jackalope in deep snow.
What do you mean by vacuum disconnect? I have a 96 and I'm planning out my build (lockers fairly low on the totem pole) and simply assumed that I couldn't have a front locker since I need great control in snow and ice. If I don't have the vacuum disconnect, which years had it? Can it be added? What lockers should I plan to get?

s