Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Locker or lift?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 1992 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: All Inline 6 4.0
Default Locker or lift?

I'm going to get a aussie locker or a 3 inch lift.I dont go actually many places were flex would be a factory or clearance and I only have money for a one now wondering what ya'll think?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM

bump
Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

lockers are great. if your not worried about bottoming out and are mostly wheeling in the mud id go with the locker
Old 05-22-2009, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

yeah but if you bottom out a locker will do you no good, ide go with the lift first
Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: I6 4.0L

i vote lockers... but then aguen. it snows alot where i live
Old 05-22-2009, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

the lift will help get you over stuff a locker will not i vote lift first then save for the locker and call it a day
Old 05-22-2009, 06:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have a 3 in lift and no Locker and I havn't been hindered on wheelin yet. I have done everything a 3 in lift will allow me to do. GO with the lift and lock when you go bigger.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

I know you did not ask, but I would say armor before lift or locker.
If you think you need a locker, you definately need armor.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I would have to agree with the armor comment. But to me, if you're only getting a 3" lift then judging from what your rig will be capable of, you'll only be doing mild-somewhat extreme trails. So you won't necessarily need lockers, even though it's always good to have them.

I vote armor, lift, eventual bigger lift/tire combo, lockers.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Hmm one gets you over and one gets you through so thats a tough one. Im with XJ Stryker on the lift first, thats what I did...Tj
Old 05-22-2009, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

A locker will be able to take you places a lift can't. I have a 2" AAL (with shocks and new front springs) and have locked the rear. I can tell you that the locker will do infinitely more for your trail ability than the lift will. Probably the first thing you can do to improve your trail-ability is get some disconnects. There are either homebrew options (that aren't very strong but very cheap) starting at just a few dollars for parts, or you can get premade swaybar link replacements for as cheap as $50. I was able to get a lock-right locker for $300 and has made a huge difference. There are times I've been able to feel when I max out flex, and before my locker was installed, this is where my traction would stop. Now that I have my locker, I've been able to just "walk" up an obstacle that I couldn't attempt before.

As far as the order I recommend:
1- Armor
2- Sway Disconnects
3- Locker
4- Lift

Most people disagree with this order, but I can tell you that being able to have the ability and traction to drag yourself over an obstacle will make a much larger difference than lifting it ever will.

I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH!! From firsthand experience, I can tell you that a locker makes infinitely more difference in off-road performance than a lift does too.

As far as lift options go, there's cheaper ways to do that too:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm
Old 05-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.

I'd lift it first so that you don't have to drag yourself over everything. If I had a beater and all I wanted to do was make it go as far as possible for as cheap as possible, I might go locker first but I want to keep my jeep, as damage free as possible, for as long as possible. I went lift and bigger tires first, then I'm going to scrap the d35 rearend in favor of something stronger, get even bigger tires, then re gear and install lockers.

That said, everyones opinion on this will vary depending on many variables such as terrain, overall condition of their rig, etc. At the end of the day, you have to live with your decision. Do as much research as you can, ask tons of questions and then make the best decision you can based on your needs.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by hubbazoot
A locker will be able to take you places a lift can't. I have a 2" AAL (with shocks and new front springs) and have locked the rear. I can tell you that the locker will do infinitely more for your trail ability than the lift will. Probably the first thing you can do to improve your trail-ability is get some disconnects. There are either homebrew options (that aren't very strong but very cheap) starting at just a few dollars for parts, or you can get premade swaybar link replacements for as cheap as $50. I was able to get a lock-right locker for $300 and has made a huge difference. There are times I've been able to feel when I max out flex, and before my locker was installed, this is where my traction would stop. Now that I have my locker, I've been able to just "walk" up an obstacle that I couldn't attempt before.

As far as the order I recommend:
1- Armor
2- Sway Disconnects
3- Locker
4- Lift

Most people disagree with this order, but I can tell you that being able to have the ability and traction to drag yourself over an obstacle will make a much larger difference than lifting it ever will.

I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH!! From firsthand experience, I can tell you that a locker makes infinitely more difference in off-road performance than a lift does too.

As far as lift options go, there's cheaper ways to do that too:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm
X2; Armor, Sway disconnect, lockers, lift & larger tires. I might wait on the sway disconnect until I do my lift.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by 94sport
X2; Armor, Sway disconnect, lockers, lift & larger tires. I might wait on the sway disconnect until I do my lift.
You can at least remove your rear sway while you have it up on stands. Probably best to do the disconnects first and get the benefit while you're waiting on your lift.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Thanks for all the comments I love the way a locker sounds pulling out a a gravel road.lol I wont go anywhere that clearance will be much of a factor seeing how it will be my daily driver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locker or lift?