Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

locating a fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default locating a fuse?

i have a 96 cherokee sport 4.0 4x4 and somethings up with the o2 sensor. replaced it already and the code came back. replaced my exhaust manifold, no cel for 98 miles, then it came on again on my lunch break at work today. im thinking it may be the fuse, but i cant find any info on where its located? does my year have a fuse or relay for the o2? the obd1 flash and obd2 codes both say the signal is out of range, so im not sure what to do, ive been battling this cel for about 8 months now. all help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default Re:Where Is The Fuse?

Went through this 18 mo ago when I first got my 98XJ.

First thing I bought was a Factory Service Manual with all the wiring sheets. Remember your wire colors and wiring details might be different from a 98.

I used a scanner with a realtime diagnostic function (best) or you can use a digital voltmeter. My sensor voltage was pinned at 1 volt motor running so i checked the heater circuit.

The manual says the fuse is S-23 on the main fuse box on the right side of the engine compartment. I pulled the fuse block and verified the same color wire coming in from the oxygen sensor. Verified that the fuse was good and the heater voltage was getting to the oxygen sensor.

I disconnected the sensor plug and looked for stray 1 volt on the sensor wires looking back toward the ECM ignition on, engine not running (careful).Found no stray 1 volt.

Bought a new NGK sensor from Summit racing and installed it. I ran motor and checked the voltage real time on the #2 oxygen sensor and it was hunting from about 0.3 volts to 0.7 volts which is what it should be doing. I cleared the trouble codes and haven't had a code since.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebuster
Went through this 18 mo ago when I first got my 98XJ.

First thing I bought was a Factory Service Manual with all the wiring sheets. Remember your wire colors and wiring details might be different from a 98.

I used a scanner with a realtime diagnostic function (best) or you can use a digital voltmeter. My sensor voltage was pinned at 1 volt motor running so i checked the heater circuit.

The manual says the fuse is S-23 on the main fuse box on the right side of the engine compartment. I pulled the fuse block and verified the same color wire coming in from the oxygen sensor. Verified that the fuse was good and the heater voltage was getting to the oxygen sensor.

I disconnected the sensor plug and looked for stray 1 volt on the sensor wires looking back toward the ECM ignition on, engine not running (careful).Found no stray 1 volt.

Bought a new NGK sensor from Summit racing and installed it. I ran motor and checked the voltage real time on the #2 oxygen sensor and it was hunting from about 0.3 volts to 0.7 volts which is what it should be doing. I cleared the trouble codes and haven't had a code since.

i figured out it was my post cat o2. even after haveing a real time scanner hooked up at the local shop, they couldnt find it, so i went and did some hunting of my own and found that it was my post cat rather than my pre cat.
thanks for the info, ill try that on my post o2