Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A little motor oil with my AX-15 tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default A little motor oil with my AX-15 tranny fluid?

I recently got my Red Line MTL in the mail and discovered that none of the fluid pumps available to me will fit the MTL bottle. I was able to find a pump that will fit my Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Synthetic motor oil, so I'm thinking that I'll drain as much of the Rotella that I can and then use the jug to pump the Red Line into the Tranny. Will this amount of synthetic motor oil be hazardous to my Ax-15 ? I'm worried about my Synchros and the tranny in general.

Thoughts?
s
Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

They normally have small transfer pumps at Ace Hardware. Also Harbor Freight sells them.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by whowey
They normally have small transfer pumps at Ace Hardware. Also Harbor Freight sells them.
I tried Napa, CarQuest, WalMart, and O-Reilly's. None found at these places would fit the bottle and any other store that might have different selection is 120 miles away.

See my problem?
s
Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

I really can't see residual amounts of the synthetic motor oil doing any kind of damage to your transmission. I'm sure you know that the GL-5 spec oils eat away the synchros, and you can imagine that if the original owner of my Cherokee had serviced the AX-15 before it had been realized that the service manuals were specifying the wrong oil, it was filled with "corrosive" oil. Since then, I've drained and filled with Pennzoil Synchromesh, but I know there are more than trace amounts of the GL-5 oil in there because you can't ever get every drop. But I'm not worried about it because there is very little of the nasty in there and once it reacts with brass, its not available to do any more damage.

Too long of an answer. But if you are still worried just spray the heck out of the inside of the bottle with brake cleaner then set it out to dry.