Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The little black box

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default The little black box

Someone or anyone will have to correct me if I am wrong. In a recent post I had mentioned I had an idle problem with my Jeep 87 Wagoner. I know this isn't a Cherokee, but close enough I guess. Anyhow, I had a rear tailight problem, which later Thanks to you all and a Jeep mechanic, it turned out to be the switch, ignition switch, was located in a very bad spot, because I am 6'4' inches tall and weigh like 280 pounds. Anyhow, I did fix that, but before finding out what was the problem I had disconnected all the stuff under the dash, including my Transmission box and a little black box under the steering wheel, under the dash. I had found out that the gray trans box was causing some idle problems, so I hooked it up and it fixed that problem, but I was still having idle problems. Now my black box was hooked up, all wires secure, so the other day while fixing the rear brake light switch, which had a bad connection to it, I went ahead and unhooked my negative cable from my battery post, then unhooked the little black box from the wires leading to it. I re-hooked the wires back up to the little black box then hooked my negative battery post back up. Since I have performed that procedure I have noticed my idle is doing much better. Not perfect, but better. I thought that little black box might be another brain box, but I don't have a book to tell me. Can anyone elaborate on this, and if I am wrong about the little black box affecting my idle, someone please correct me. Thanks!