Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lifter peck and then a lot of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Lifter peck and then a lot of smoke

Morning Cherokee Forum. I'm in a bit of a pickle and was wondering if you fine folks got give me some insight.....

Two weeks ago my 99 XJ (4.0) developed a lifter tick and I did some research and concluded that it was fine.....the engine itself has over 350.000 miles on it after all. So I continued to drive as I normally would though my day to day activities. But the peck did get louder over the course of time and was going to put her in the shop.....
Well, today the family hoped into the Heep and drove on to our destination but we only went maybe no more than two miles and it started just missing and lagging and such. Went maybe a half mile more down the road and and I heard a sound ( my wife kept insisting that stuff was falling off of it) and then everything just went to **** she was idling super rough missing like crazy and pouring out white smoke (no sweet smell or anything just the smell of raw exhaust I guess) It was pouring so bad I couldn't see out my back glass.....
So I suppose after this long winded rant my question is this: Wtf just happened? Do you think that it's toast or do you you think that perhaps the lifter could be tightened up..... I have a rough idea about how an engine works (somewhat). But as far as how things are connected and what they do not so much if someone is willing to educate me lol.
Thank you folks for your time.....
Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a head gasket. Large amounts of white smoke is burning coolant.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like your valve train has reached the end of its road - lifters, rockers, pivots, valve seals, etc.

You may want to consider replacing your head with a rebuilt one or have it rebuilt.

While the head is off, remove and replace all the lifters. Unless the lifter faces are worn extremely concave which would mean your cam lobes are worn out.

With 350,000 miles on it I would replace the engine.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Member

I was thinking about replacing the engine after the lifter peck was progressively worse over time but I was hoping it would last me till February... The smoke that came out didn't smell sweet or like antifreeze just offensive to the nose and eyes.. I'm not arguing with you folks on your points....do you folks think that perhaps I could get another head and slap on it and perhaps I could get it through till tax time? Cause I can get a head easily..... I do happen to have another engine BUT the head cracked on it once upon a time (the crankcase wasn't contaminated) but it's been sitting around with its head on it for the past few months and the cylinder walls are starting to put.....what are you all's thoughts on that engine? It had good oil pressure but it did get overheated though....
I'm sorry for all the questions and long posts it's just she's my DD and she's all I have too.....thank you guys for your replies.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Slap away.....
Old 07-08-2016, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

If it were me.. With 350k miles id replace it.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Member

I'd love to replace it but that's just not in the cards now....do you folks think I head would be a band aid to get me through......I'm not being hard headed or anything just looking for some insight. If nothing can be done then I'll just have to park her.......
Old 07-08-2016, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

350k, anything can happen. Blown ring, I'm thinking, but that would make some considerable clatter. Is she puffing smoke out the valve cover, if you pull one of the grommets or pcv lines>? Other than that I'd guess head gasket, is she puffing out the radiator with the cap off?
Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

The valve cover got pulled today and the mechanic told me that there was antifreeze under there and I asked him if he would mind to pull the head and go a little deeper inside so hea going to hop on that tomorrow sometime and give me a call back.....
I'm not a overly cheap bastard and I believe in doing things the right way the first time but right now as it stands the right thing is outta range.....