Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Which Lift? RE 5.5" with 33s/35s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Which Lift? RE 5.5" with 33s/35s?

Hey everyone, you might have seen my Redrock Rampage build thread in builds... https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...rampage-22535/ but I decided I would re post this here so maybe more people would see it. I am trying to decide on a lift / tire combo for the Cherokee. Here is the plan, let me know what you guys think. I am going to keep the Cherokee for a daily driver for a while until it gets up higher in miles. Then eventually down the road I may get another vehicle for a DD and turn the Cherokee into mostly a trail rig. I know everybody says to buy a lift depending on what tires you want to clear so what I was thinking is to get a lift somewhere in between 5.5" - 6.5" for now and put 33s on it. Then later on when it turns into more of a trail rig I might try to put some 35s on it. So what would you guys recommend for a lift height? I know I may have to trim at least a little for 33s and probably a lot for 35s. Also what brand would everyone suggest? So far I have been looking at Rubicon Express, Rough Country and Rusty's. From the reviews I have read it seems that a lot of people really like Rubicon Express. The thing I noticed that I didn't like about Rusty's is there 6.5" kit did not come with or offer control arm drop brackets. I have read that they are one of the main things that make the Rubicon Express kit ride so well on road. Rough Country offered them as an extra to there 6.5" kit. So what does everyone think I should get? Any suggestions, comments, opinions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Bump
Old 12-11-2009, 08:19 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

run 6.5in with 33's... a full lift not blocks and shackels... then when you ready to crawl buy the long arm upgrade and run 35's... sell the original parts for the 6.5 short arm and make alittle money back... RC and RE if you search around some are the most common and loved lifts for the XJ... then probly rustys... then custom built lifts... goodluck
Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

get 35s they are amazing
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Member

run 6.5in with 33's... a full lift not blocks and shackels... then when you ready to crawl buy the long arm upgrade and run 35's... sell the original parts for the 6.5 short arm and make alittle money back... RC and RE if you search around some are the most common and loved lifts for the XJ... then probly rustys... then custom built lifts... goodluck
Those where the 3 lift brands I was looking through. I was kinda leaning towards Rubicon Express but the only problem with that and what you are suggesting is Rubicon Express only makes a 5.5" lift and a 7.5" inch lift, no 6.5". I don't want a 7.5" and I am trying to figure out if a 5.5" is big enough to eventually run 35s on.
get 35s they are amazing
That's my ultimate goal its just while I am still using the XJ as a daily driver I think I should probably stick to 33s don't you? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

If it were me and I had the money, my hands down choice would be the new Rough Country 6.5" LA kit and some 35's. That kit comes with practically everything you need and, in my opinion, is a steal of a deal at $1,250.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 PM
MJ>XJ

Originally Posted by Cliff
Those where the 3 lift brands I was looking through. I was kinda leaning towards Rubicon Express but the only problem with that and what you are suggesting is Rubicon Express only makes a 5.5" lift and a 7.5" inch lift, no 6.5". I don't want a 7.5" and I am trying to figure out if a 5.5" is big enough to eventually run 35s on.
That's my ultimate goal its just while I am still using the XJ as a daily driver I think I should probably stick to 33s don't you? Thanks for the help guys!
yeah thats why if i was buying a new kit i would go with RC cause there cheaper and there lift sizes work better with tires size and fit... RE is nice but money money money... i like the LA kit listed above for the price though... thats real good... i spend money to much so im piecing my list together and building some myself as i get alittle money... saving it for a full lift is impossible for me... lol
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

The RE 5.5 lift normally measures out at 6"+ so i would have to say 35"s!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

yeah thats why if i was buying a new kit i would go with RC cause there cheaper and there lift sizes work better with tires size and fit... RE is nice but money money money... i like the LA kit listed above for the price though... thats real good...
I hear ya man... don't get me wrong I am not made of money either. I am 21 with a job that dies in the winter. RE is expensive for me too it just wanted to make sure I didn't regret getting a cheaper brand. It seems like a lot of people on here have Rough Country lifts and like them a lot. I would love to go with a 6.5" LA and 35s right now but I still need the Cherokee for a daily driver until I get the cash to buy another DD. Don't you guys think long arms and 35s are a bit much for a DD? That's why I just figured get just the lift for now with 33s then later on I could always get a LA upgrade and 35s.

The RE 5.5 lift normally measures out at 6"+ so I would have to say 35"s!
That's what figured and have heard from others. Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys! As of now I have figured out thanks to you guys that I can eventually down the road clear 35s with both the RC and RE kits. Now I just need to go price both of them out with shocks, SYE, drive shaft ect and see the difference in price. Then weigh the two and pick one. Also one more question... is there anything else you guys can think of I need other than the lift kit, shocks, SYE and custom drive shaft? I know once I go to 35s I am going to have to re gear. Does everyone think I will need to re gear for 33s as well or can I get away with stock gearing for now?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 PM
MJ>XJ

you can get 6.5 short arms now and ride on 33's or 35's... then upgrade to long arms later and 35's... but the 6.5 short arm even on the road will ride more rough then the 6.5 long arm... so yes long arms are better off road... but there also better on road when you get to that hight... also if you go with the hackNtap instead of a SYE the kit on ebay will come with the rear driveshaft and you dont have to take apart the transfer case... the kits only $200... goodluck!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

Im an interested in this post as well. This summer I was planning a 4.5" Rustys with .5" spacers but after seeing the post about the 6.5 RC it has me rethinking
Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Seasoned Member

you can get 6.5 short arms now and ride on 33's or 35's... then upgrade to long arms later and 35's... but the 6.5 short arm even on the road will ride more rough then the 6.5 long arm... so yes long arms are better off road... but there also better on road when you get to that hight... also if you go with the hackNtap instead of a SYE the kit on ebay will come with the rear driveshaft and you dont have to take apart the transfer case... the kits only $200... goodluck!
Hmmm interesting info! I always though that long arms were worse for on road driving. For some reason I though I remembered people saying to stay away from them for DDs but I could very well be wrong. Also I am going to have to definitely check out that hackNtap kit! 200 sounds like a great price considering the cheapest I could find a AA SYE and Tom Woods drive shaft was $480.00. Thanks a lot huntingman2706217 you have been a big help.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Yeah, long arms are definitely the way to go for a DD at 6.5". It'll be cheaper to just do it the first time as opposed to upgrading later on. Also, that RC 6.5" long arm kit that I posted about is cheaper than the RE short arm kit.

Here also is a link for the aforementioned Iron Rock hack and tap kit.

Have fun!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, long arms are definitely the way to go for a DD at 6.5". It'll be cheaper to just do it the first time as opposed to upgrading later on. Also, that RC 6.5" long arm kit that I posted about is cheaper than the RE short arm kit.
Yeah good point! and yeah it is a lot cheaper than upgrading later. I will have to do a little more research but I am liking this 6.5" LA idea. I just hope its not to much for a DD. Also thanks for the link... I was already looking into it and it seems people have put the hackNtap kit through a lot and it holds up good. That's awesome because it will save me a pretty large chunk of change.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 PM

Yeah I am totally getting the long arm upgrade kit as soon as funds allow. The hack and tap is priority number one for me right now though. I gotta get rid of this t-case drop.

As far as that setup being too much for a DD, if you lived in the midwest like I do and had to worry about winter driving, then it would pose more to be concerned about. But, given your locale, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Quick Reply: Which Lift? RE 5.5" with 33s/35s?