Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Left Side Marker Light/Turn Signal Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Left Side Marker Light/Turn Signal Not Working

Hey guys, I just did the wiring harness upgrade with relays for the headlamps on my '96 manual. Everything works except now the driver's side marker lamp doesn't come on, along with the turn signal. When I pull the headlamp switch, the left arrow in my instrument cluster comes on and stays on. When I use my left turn signal, the side marker bulb (the one below the headlamp) blinks very fast. The side turn signal still doesn't come on. Everything on the right side works fine. I'm a bit confused because all I worked on was the headlamps and I thought these circuits were separate. I was hoping it was just a grounding issue but I don't think so since the one bulb works when I activate the turn signal..

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'm pretty stumped here. Another thing I'd like to mention is that I plugged the headlamps into the old connectors so it was set up just like the stock configuration and this problem still existed.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

Update:

This morning I had put in new bulbs for the blinkers (the orange ones) because the right side was burned out. I switched the left side back to the old bulb for ****s and giggles, and the blinker started working, but the side marker bulb was still not coming on. It was a lot dimmer than the right side, however. I then tried my hazards and everything worked, and after a few cycles the brightness came back to normal. I even put the new orange bulb back in and it continued to work. This must have something to do with the cheapo, made-in-Taiwan wiring harness I installed because when I have the headlights on the side marker and the blinker flash out of time. This XJ seems to have had a lot of electrical issues over the years that work themselves out.. I will deal with the unsynchronized front flashers for now, so I problem solved I guess.