Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaky fuel injector area again.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaky fuel injector area again.

Well replacing the pressure regulator o-ring 3 weeks ago stopped the pouring fuel and all was good until yesterday.

Drove to my sisters and smelled fuel. The injector closest to grill had gas on it. Checked and no fuel was leaking at the o-rings. I replaced those last February. Looks like it was coming from around the area where the connector attaches. But it wasn't dripping. Just more like a slow saturation.

Wiped it clean. Wiggled injector doing so. Checked it. Nothing. Dry as a bone.

Checked it 3 times running at her house. Dry as a bone.
Drove it home. 3 miles. Dry.
Drove it to store. 4 miles. Dry. Back. Dry.

Woke up today. Drove to her house. Same injector was wet with fuel. No pouring or puddle. I read another guys post about when it gets below 40 and it sits. It can cause a bad injector to start leaking. Mine appears to only leaking after sitting in the cool. Once I drive and it leaks. Then it doesn't leak until sitting in cool.

Anyway. It appears that injector is bad since I've put all new o-rings and so I know the other 6 is most likely to follow. I have a 94 jeep thats a parts jeep. It never leaked fuel. But I've also read about getting dodge neons from junkyards. I can get 6 for $60. Which would yall recommend?

PS now that I see it's leaking. I'm not driving it anymore.

Last edited by Chick-N-Picker; 11-06-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Also. I've read that it gives better gas mileage. I don't really care about that.

Are they built tougher? I have a set of stock XJ injectors for free but if the 703 are les likely to leak then that's what I want.