Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaking issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Leaking issues

Hello, I got my first Jeep two days ago. Its a 99 XJ, i've noticed im leaking transmission fluid and oil as well. I apologize if there are threads that already covered the explanation for my leaks. Do anyone know the leaks and the fixes repairs that often work>

The transmissions fluid always has a drop once I look under my jeep.

The oil falls from the bolt that is adjacent to the drain bolt.

Closer photo of the transmission fluid leak.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

the leak between the engine and trans is 99% likely to be the rear engine seal, which is leaking motor oil not trans fluid. the other leak appears to be a pinion seal for the transfer case.(unless this is a 2wd cherokee) the transfer case also runs ATF. Have you checked the level of the trans fluid? Engine at operating temperature, Engine idling in park, fluid should be between the max and fill lines. The pinion seal (output shaft seal) appears to be the only leak I would really be concerned about unless the Rear engine seal is constantly dripping like a leaky faucet, some leakage out of there is pretty normal, but if it bugs you, the Youtube channel Bleepin Jeep has a pretty good how-to on how to replace it.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by XJRed96
the leak between the engine and trans is 99% likely to be the rear engine seal, which is leaking motor oil not trans fluid. the other leak appears to be a pinion seal for the transfer case.(unless this is a 2wd cherokee) the transfer case also runs ATF. Have you checked the level of the trans fluid? Engine at operating temperature, Engine idling in park, fluid should be between the max and fill lines. The pinion seal (output shaft seal) appears to be the only leak I would really be concerned about unless the Rear engine seal is constantly dripping like a leaky faucet, some leakage out of there is pretty normal, but if it bugs you, the Youtube channel Bleepin Jeep has a pretty good how-to on how to replace it.
Thank you very much! I figured it was the rear main seal. As for the transmission, yes unfortunately it is a 2wd. When I checked it yesterday morning it had nothing on the dipstick. I filled it up and checked it later that day and it was all good. What bother me the most about my both leaks is ruining other's driveways.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

The oil leak is more likely a leaking oil filter adapter and/or valve cover gasket. Check these before assuming it's a rear main seal leak.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:13 AM

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. We are speaking about the actual oil filter? Isn't it where near my leak?

Last edited by jmanie9515; 10-02-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

Yep, oil filter adapter. Common for it to leak. See this thread:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/oil...erence-203801/
Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the advice and thanks for sending me the leak. The Jeep came with a new rear main seal, just need to install it. And I hope the transmission leak is an easy fix.