Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default leaf springs

Hi everybody.
I am ready to tackle/learn the suspension on my xherokee.
I think I have a lift because there are 2 blocks under the leaf spring in the rear and the jeep is level with the front.... However, one block is cracked and the jeep is lower on one side (other side of the cracked block).
Anyway I was advised to change that before more damage occur and I will do it.

Questions are about the "sag".
- Could it be that the shocks are shot (if so, is there a way to test them or should I just replace them)
-Could it be that the leaf pack is shot ? I tried to look at it and do some research but I can't figure out if there is one leaf added ? (Yeah I am dumb for things like that.... but I am learning). What is the best way to measure if there is still enough arch ?

I drive it around the block from time to time to test stuff and I noticed that the whole suspension feels shacky. I never had a lifted vehicle before so maybe this is why I don;t know.

I am pretty sure I want to keep some kind of lift but since it is not necessarily going to be for rock crawling or mudding, i don;t need much and as far as I can see, I like what it is now.

Anyway, long post, plenty of beginner questions (bear with me please) and any advise/help/direction would be useful.

Maybe I will try to add some pics later to see if that helps understand what i am talking about....

thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures will help us help you. The factory leafs on an XJ will sag, so much that JC Whitney adds blocks with RC's "add-a-leaf" 3" kit; which may be what you have. Not to mention, the rubber bushings in the factory leafs wear out and cause the vehicle to drop even more. Be careful, if that block has cracked all the way through, it could wiggle its way out and leave your axle free to move around. The "slack" you are referring to is somewhat normal. Solid axle lifted vehicles with worn out leafs and old shocks usually feels pretty "unstable". Are your sway bars connected.

To answer your question, shocks don't affect the ride height of a vehicle.

Last edited by s14unimog; 04-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Thanks a lot for these precisions...
Well I guess I am going to take a bit of pictures and post them tonight maybe.

yes the block is cracked all the way through and Yes I will not drive it untill I get that fixed...

I am pretty sure both sway bars are on ....

and yes more than shacky, unstable feel would be better definition

Me thinking .... maybe what I just need to do is replace the blocks and maybe check rubber bushings... maybe one is gone and that is why there is a difference between left and right height...

definitely need pictures lol
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont go with blocks or you will be right back where you are now.Do full leaf packs or bastard packs. Dont do add a leafs cuz they sag too.Shocks only smooth out the ride not lift it. Push down on you bumper and see if it stops bouncing fast. If it keeps bouncing then you need new shocks .

Last edited by troy fritz; 04-08-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 PM

then looks like I do need shocks lol it is bouncing
I guess I have a bit more studying to do as far as options to keep the lift where it is at (if any). i was tempted by trying this "s10 leafs" thing as it does not look too difficult and maybe remains in my very small budget.... Does that qualify as a AAL lift ?
i will get pictures tonight
Thanks for the advises....
Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Steph74
then looks like I do need shocks lol it is bouncing
I guess I have a bit more studying to do as far as options to keep the lift where it is at (if any). i was tempted by trying this "s10 leafs" thing as it does not look too difficult and maybe remains in my very small budget.... Does that qualify as a AAL lift ?
i will get pictures tonight
Thanks for the advises....
Technically, Yes, without the sag. The sag has been worn out of the springs already. This is due to using USED springs from a donor truck. AAL is cheap solution, if you plan on doing new FULL PACKS in the future.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6 K&N, Flowmaster, accel yellow, 703 injectors, SS fuel lines routed through CAI

I will have new rancho 5000s for sale in a week. Good for 2 inches of lift, 1000 miles on them ( I'm lifting 6.5 inches). I have no need for them....

Make me an offer...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Shocks DO NOT affect ride height ONLY ride quality. Air shocks are a different matter, but still should not be used to provide lift.