Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Latch stuck closed with door open.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Latch stuck closed with door open.

I've searched but do not find exactly this same problem. Most seem to have a problem with the door being stuck shut.
I inherited this '95 Cherokee 4 door with the top hinge broken on the driver door. I tried to carefully lift the door while closing it and this worked fine the first few times. However I evidently was not careful enough one time, hit the latch and it moved to the closed position. I've tried the inside latch, locked & unlocked it while trying to pry the latch open but it's stuck bad. There appears to be a piece of plastic jammed against the side of the latch but I don't see where that could have come from.
Can this be fixed from the outside or do I need to pull the inside panel?
Thanks,
Ray
Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Try once more.
Hold the latch handle in the open position. If the outside doesn't work try again with the inside. Use a screw driver to pop that hooked loop thing in latch in the jamb open. (in, towards the interior of the vehicle)
It should close fine and you'll know for sure which handle is giving you trouble.

Dope the thing up with WD40 big-time.
PB Blaster is a great penetrator, but it's not a long term lubricant, go with WD40 or 3in1 then use regular oil or triflo.

Last edited by Marcucco; 06-08-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L HO

I think the plastic used to be the covering on the latch, you rubbed it off and out of place by forcing the door. You should be able to pry/bang the latch open from the outside. If that doesnt work, its not terribly difficult to removed the door panel, 3 philips screws hold the latch panel, 2 for the armrest, pop the manula window crank if equipped, then carefully (I use a paint stirrer) pry the interior panel off. With a razor, trim 3 sides of the vapor barrier so you can tape it back in place later.
Peek down inside while moving the latch, it may not be moving the mechanism far enough. Spray some PBlaster in there for good measure, then with a long pry bar, tyr and pull the door latch mechanism straight up. good luck
Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 PM

Default Stuck door latch

Thanks for the detailed replies, I really appreciate it.
I'll give it another shot when I get back up to the hills where it is--I have to get it smogged before I can drive it very far and have to get the door fixed first.
36rascal