Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just a unibody question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Just a unibody question...

Okay so this is my 3rd Cherokee, and I seem to love them. But this time, it seems the one I picked up yesterday, the frame by the track bar mount has cracked and been re-welded and it looks like crap.

Now, I have my last Cherokee body sitting on a trailer with nothing going for it. My question is, could cutting the cracked chunk out of this jeep and grafting in a new chunk of frame from my old jeep be a possibility? Has anyone ever done this before?

I've never had one crack a frame, and I just thought that maybe I could cut a chunk out of my old one since it is crack free, stiffen it up, and then graft it on the latest jeep.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

With a plasma cutter, air grinders, TIG/MIG welder anything is possible!

Unless you're a certified welder with fabrication skills, have it done professionally by a reputable auto restoration shop. They could probably even fabricate the mount bracket.

While you're at it check the other side of the track bar mounting hole for elongation.
I'll bet it is.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:17 AM

I wouldn't doubt it one bit. I do have a family friend who owns a Fab shop. And I have some knowledge. I was just thinking that it would be a good start to fix the crack by just removing the cracked area all together and replacing with an uncracked piece, and strengthen the track bar mount area so it won't happen in the future
Old 04-28-2017, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The section looks like crap how though? If it's just booger welds, I would grind it down and inspect it. If the metal isn't rotted around the "repaired" area, I don't see why you'd need to graft a whole section in. I'd be looking to repair what's already there and reinforce(like a frame stiffener) with new steel rather than cutting out a section.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:10 PM

It's booger welds and I can still see massive cracks. That's why I was thinking of replacing the section. But if plating over it with decent steel will more than suffice, that would save time.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

There are very specific sectioning procedures and guidelines to follow when replacing structural sheet metal. That is definitely something that should be left to the professionals.

However, it can probably be safely repaired by stop drilling the crack, grinding the cracked portion out, welding and then plating over the top. Those procedures are also very critical and if done improperly can cause a lot of safety issues.

Do your research, seek the opinion and help of professionals and move forward from there.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by LACK
There are very specific sectioning procedures and guidelines to follow when replacing structural sheet metal. That is definitely something that should be left to the professionals.

However, it can probably be safely repaired by stop drilling the crack, grinding the cracked portion out, welding and then plating over the top. Those procedures are also very critical and if done improperly can cause a lot of safety issues.

Do your research, seek the opinion and help of professionals and move forward from there.
Yeah, what he said