Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just got my first jeep

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Just got my first jeep

so i got my 1999 jeep cherokee a month ago. and i have encountered just a few problems....a side from the previous owners retreads blowing apart and the foglights not working it has been pretty smooth sailing. i am a college student five hours away from home and i estimate i get about 12 mpg any suggestions? i was considering cold air intake. also im trying to key out the foglight problem the relays are ok and the fuses are too i havent taken apart the dash to check the switch yet but if there are any common problems i would like to hear about them. otherwise i really love my jeep and hope i can run it as long as i can. considering a bigger bumper too and a second set of rims and tires for a set of muds ive got some junky ATs on now had to i was in a pinch when the retreads came apart
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

First welcome to the Jeep thing and have fun making it your own.

Second if you have not done it yet replace all the fluids, oil,trans, differential etc...I know if you are like me you can't afford it all at once just something to work on.

Also try some seafoam its a great product that you can put in your gas and crankcase to clean out all the gunk and such.

Pour about 1/3rd of the bottle in gas and the rest in the crankcase ... or half and half really.... I have heard of doing 2 things with the seafoam 1 you can drive it for about 100 miles then change the oil or what was suggested to me is run it idle in the driveway for about 30 minutes let it cool and change the oil.

Just make sure to do the seafoam thing before an oil change and not after or you will just have to change it out again shortly.

I'm sure more will chime in about the gas milage thing and other stuff.

Have fun.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L HO

if you are going to do the seafoam...be a good idea to change to spark plugs afterwords. its not uncommon for the seafoam to get crap on the plugs.

also, best way ive found for doing the seafoam is taking off the intake tube, and slowly pouring it straight into the throttle body (while revving it a bit to keep it running). i use about 1/2 a can like this. then when the 1/2 can is used up, shut down the engine, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. then turn it on and rev it up a lot...you should get LOTS of smoke. after the smoke starts going away...let it cool and change the oil. then do the spark plugs.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks guys! ive been using K100 injector cleaner for a while in the gas but havent put anything in the oil. i do keep having a stall while backing out of my driveway wich is just a slight up hill and over gravel?