Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just gettin started!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just gettin started!!

So i bought a 93 cherokee yesterday and i got it running last night. guy thought it was a major issue but was just the battery. Got it for five hundred bucks. Has some rust here and there and had a smashed door. replaced the door and got all the doors adjusted to where they open and close fairly well. the driver door is a little bent so it doesn't seal well but i plan on replacing that soon as the other door was pretty simple. gunna put a stereo in tomorrow. To deal with the rust im gunna start sanding it tuesday get all the rust taken care of, then just scuff the rest and bed line the whole outside. Got a few leaks in the engine but i got it degreased and changed the oil and serp belt so i can start chasing down the major ones. A few leaks here and there won't bother me since this thing was cheap and its got 156k. After that i'll probably lift it an inch or two and watch for some cheap 31's on craigslist. Ill fab up a front bumper/grill guard for it this summer and probably try to pick up a rear bumper with a tire rack as well. Have a couple general questions. Is it common for the actuators for the power locks to all be bad at once? seems like they just dont have the juice to push the locks. How hard are these to replace i noticed they are riveted in. also what year range should i be looking for parts for. Mine is a 93 but i ebay that and dont get much because i figured it falls in somewhere of a range such as 88-97 or something. I also have some plugs hanging around under the dash that seem to have no destination, is this normal? i can get pictures later. I'll probably tint the windows this week, they look pretty straight forward should take me an hour or two. also what is the reputation of the ebay modules that claim to add horsepower and mpg? i do not expect them to add the claimed 100 hp but i was just seeing if they were anything worth looking into or if there are better routes. what is a common exhaust to put on a cherokee? seeing as it is a straight 6 i wouldnt think a dual would be common. I am new to this type of vehicle but am fairly experienced with automotives in general. My other project is a 99 mitsubishi eclipse GSX turbo awd, i have dropped an outrageous amount of money into that and it will be pushing roughly 550-600hp this summer after i tune it. l suggestions welcome. i travel all over wyoming so if anyone has any cheap parts in the area or even northern to central colorado please let me know. Thanks alot guys, i hope that u can help me get introduced to the jeep world the right way.

Last edited by skystitt; 03-01-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CF.

Last edited by winston427; 03-01-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: REeopened for editing by OP
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skystitt
. Got a few leaks in the engine but i got it degreased and changed the oil and serp belt so i can start chasing down the major ones. A few leaks here and there won't bother me since this thing was cheap and its got 156k.

It is very common for the rear main seal on the 4,0 engines to leak. Almost all of them will start to leak at some point.

Is it common for the actuators for the power locks to all be bad at once? seems like they just dont have the juice to push the locks. How hard are these to replace i noticed they are riveted in.

It is most likely the master control switch on the drivers door that is causing the problem with the door locks.

also what year range should i be looking for parts for. Mine is a 93 but i ebay that and dont get much because i figured it falls in somewhere of a range such as 88-97 or something.

The interchangeable parts years vary depending on what parts you need. 84-96 are basically the same in body panels and have a large amount of parts that will swap.

Engine wise also depands on what part you need.

Suspension parts are fully interchangeable from 84-01 with no modifications needed.

Interior parts, basically 84-96

I also have some plugs hanging around under the dash that seem to have no destination, is this normal?

The Cherokee was built with almost all the electrical connections needed for any option available in each model year. It allowed AMC, and Chrysler to stock only one wiring harness for the entire production run instead of a dozen different combinations. If yours is a base model then there will be a lot of leftover connections.

Hopefully that helps along with this to get you started.
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html
Old 03-01-2010, 12:56 AM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Welcome!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

alright so i read the vin wrong and i actually have a 90 haha but this is not a big issue to me. However i have some electronic issues that are puzzling me. Right now i am tryint to wire in the stereo but i am not getting power to the pink wire which is supposed to be 12v constant. I checked the radio fuse and it is fine. Is there another fuse in this circuit that i should check? also my cigar lighter and the dome lights are not working. still lookin for those fuses. I also have this part time light that comes on when i let off the gas but if i get back on it goes out. anything to worry about? should i just take the bulb out if its annoying me?