Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep XJ Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep XJ Manual Swap

Hello everyone,

I have a '97 XJ Sport, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, 168k miles, no lift. I recently bought a 2000 XJ Sport (same configuration) with 122k miles for $150, it's rusted out so I'm using it for parts though. Engine runs like a top and it has a really nice sunroof (that still works!)

I have done quite a bit of research on a manual swap into my '97 XJ. I recently bought a whole setup from a local guy only to realize all the parts came from a '97 TJ. He claims he pulled it all from an XJ, but oh well. I think I can make due. Correct me if I am wrong.

The package came with:
- Complete AX15 transmission, 180k miles, P/N: 5210811AB (my research shows mid-'97 TJ)
- Transmission included the master/slave cylinders and line (I'm going to just get a clutch kit anyway)
- The transmission came bolted to it's (I'm assuming original) NP231 transfer case.
- The flywheel that bolted to the original '97 4.0L engine.
- The pedal cluster, which I believe is from a TJ since the pedals are very curved.
- And I also got the ECU... thinking it was from an XJ. P/N: 56041312AD (my research shows it's for a '98 TJ w/ 4.0L & manual trans)

So now I have all the parts to do a manual swap... for a '97 TJ. But I think all is not lost.

From what I've read, there are a few reason this could complicate things:

1.) The TJ clutch/brake pedals are curved differently than an XJ. See picture.

The pedal box will bolt up but I will have to cut/weld the pedals to be straighter. Not a problem
2.) The TJ NP231 transfer case is clocked differently on the transmission than the XJ. I can fix this by redrilling the mounting holes using a template.
3.) The input/output splines from the drivetrain may be different, or the overall length may be different.

From the front of the transmission back:

The AX15 should bolt up to the 4.0L engine since that side of the transmission was the same from early 90's onward (right?). Also, I believe the flywheel used in 4.0L+AX15 configurations was the same regardless of the vehicle, is that correct?

The only problem about the front driveshaft is that I have one for an automatic. So I will need to locate the proper length front driveshaft for a manual transmission configuration. Is that the only issue or is the TJ NP231 really different from the XJ?

Since I have the complete AX15/NP231 assembly already combined, I don't think there will be an issue with that. I can just reclock the transfer case to fix clearance issues. Is the overall length of the AX15/NP231 assembly different from XJ to TJ?

I need to find a cross member from a manual XJ and get a new mount for it.

Same as the front driveshaft, the rear driveshaft only needs to be swapped with the proper-length one from a manual XJ.

The ECU is a total loss in my opinion. Maybe I could use it as a core return.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

your trans will be clocked wrong for the xj but should be ok
you will need a computer
you need xj petals
you will need driveshafts
you will need the xj manusl crossmember
not sure if the shifter is the same or not
not sure about the flywheel
Old 03-01-2022, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Did you ever get the TJ pedals to work? I'm in the same boat. Impossible to find XJ pedals and I got a set of TJ pedals for free.. They look like they bolt up the same and all, just bend over to the side. 98 TJ pedals to 99 Cherokee