Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

jeep wouldnt start today.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default jeep wouldnt start today.....

Ok so i got it started yes but i knocked on a few relays and presto it started right back up what relay/fuse under the hood would be the culprit? when it stalled its like you shut the key off basically and wouldnt start back up. Im thinking the asd relay? Its a 99 cherokee btw
Old 04-22-2018, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Well nevermind it stalled again it jolted the Jeep hard and stalled while driving
Old 04-22-2018, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Engine: 4.0

If jostling the power distribution center where relays are allowed the vehicle to start, you know where to begin troubleshooting.

The two relays I would concentrate on would be the ASD relay and fuel pump. As these relays are all the same part number, try swapping one of those with a non-critical relay and see if that resolves your problem.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Hmm may be a fuel delivery issue I sprayed some starting fluid and it sputtered to life it seemed
Old 04-22-2018, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EEVEE
Hmm may be a fuel delivery issue I sprayed some starting fluid and it sputtered to life it seemed
Test fuel pressure. Must be done with a gauge which can be rented inexpensively from parts stores, call around for availability.

For a 99, you need 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi to fire and run your 4.0 engine.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Pressure tested fine and cut out right at 50 so fuel pressure is good maybe it's the cps? If so what brand should I get ik I'm firing the parts cannon but it needs to be done sooner or later it's still original
Old 04-22-2018, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

codes?
Old 04-22-2018, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

I should give some more insight sorry my phone battery was at 2% but yes it first happened at the traffic light, I noticed my oil pressure was zero but no check Gauge and then noticed my Jeep was off, so trying to start it and it kept cranking. I pushed it off the road and into a safe spot where it continued to crank. Then after a few minutes I got it to start for like 3 seconds and then it cut back out it was like you shut it off. So like 10 minutes if sitting I called my towing service and they were on the way. I was poking and prodding around and decided to tap on all the relays under the hood and went to start it and it fired right up. Oh! OK so I let it idle for a minute and a few revs and it didn't stall... OK so I took it for a tiny test drive and didnt stall so I called my towing service and canceled it for the time being and drove it all the way home with no hiccups so I swapped a few relays I got from the junkyard mainly the asd and fuel pump relay and still fired up. So I drove to my grandma's for a party and ran fine then. Then they asked me to go to the store so I did and halfway there it stalled like a jolt and shut off so I coasted off the road and just kept cranking and the after a few minutes it fired up and right as my uncle came to tow me it cut out again he mentioned it smelled lean and suspected the fuel pressure was low so he sprayed a bit of starter fluid and it stumbled from it but didn't start so he towed it to my grandma's and I rented a fuel pressure tester and it sits at 50 at idle after it started and idled for a minute then cut out again like you turn the key off and here I am now sitting and typing this. I should mention the kit I rented has a multimeter can I test the cps? If so how can I and any other related sensors that can cause this? It's like you shut the key off. I can't verify right now that it's getting g spark as it's dark and pouring rain. And where should I go from here? No check engine light or anything it's a 99 auto and 4wd. I need this for work soon and only have a week to borrow my dad s truck.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

No codes that the light shows anyways no cel light but I can't get it to a parts store to scan them.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I would check all the connections/grounds around the fuse/relay box before doing anything else. It might be the CPS but usually when that's gone it doesn't revive on it's own. When mine died on my '01 it set a P0320.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

really? an hour and i couldnt trigger it..... whatever i ordered a sensor already and it arrives tomorrow instead of 2 weeks im trying to test it to see if it is the cps. But i am pretty sure its going out as its original still at 210k miles. If not whatelse could it possibly be
Old 04-23-2018, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

actually when i started it up i noticed it skipped a major beat but caught itself and kept going.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by tjwalker
If jostling the power distribution center where relays are allowed the vehicle to start, you know where to begin troubleshooting.

The two relays I would concentrate on would be the ASD relay and fuel pump. As these relays are all the same part number, try swapping one of those with a non-critical relay and see if that resolves your problem.
^^ there.... at least you'll be able to rule them in or out as the root cause. Been dealing with tracking down an odd issue on mine for a few days too. lol. Not super fun, but it's a Jeep.... so anything's possible. lol
Electrical gremlins are much more of a PITA then straight up mechanical failures/faults.

Last edited by RocketMouse; 04-23-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
^^ there.... at least you'll be able to rule them in or out as the root cause. Been dealing with tracking down an odd issue on mine for a few days too. lol. Not super fun, but it's a Jeep.... so anything's possible. lol
Electrical gremlins are much more of a PITA then straight up mechanical failures/faults.
i Already swapped out those relays with new ones and still nothing. I mean it ran today but it was a matter of time before it does cut out. and did it after i swapped them as well. So im gonna have someone follow me and ill see if i can skitter it on home and do some more testing
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

hmm well made it home 5 miles away with no issue. Figures i wonder if it heats something up and makes it act up.

Quick Reply: jeep wouldnt start today.....