Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep won't start, instrument cluster not working, cooling fan runs when it shouldn't.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 6 cylinder, 4.0L
Default Jeep won't start, instrument cluster not working, cooling fan runs when it shouldn't.

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 252k miles, 4.0L straight six engine, manual transmission.
I was trying to reconnect my radio head when I started having problems. I noticed that my battery voltage, and fuel gauge weren't giving any readings. I also noticed that my overhead dome lights weren't on when I opened the door.
I checked the fuses under the hood and found #17 (15A, Ignition off draw (IOD), interior lights) fuse was blown. Swapped that with the fog lamp 15A fuse (since I don't have fog lamps) and the dome lights came back on but the gauges still don't display anything. Adding to my confusion is the fact that my cooling fan now runs when it shouldn't. I removed the relay and it turns off. Put it back, it turns on. I wiggled it and swapped it to ensure it wasn't sticking like a few months ago and it still runs.
Checked the CPS, which was swapped out a few months ago and it looks good.
Also checked: battery connections, grounds under hood, instrument cluster check (held mile reset while turning Jeep on), no codes displayed after test. All checked good.
Bottom line, won't start, fuel and voltage gauges read nothing, and cooling fan runs when I turn the key. Stuck at my house so I can't get a code reader. Help!

Update, it works! It turns out I had another burned out fuse. It was the fuel pump fuse in the power distribution box under the hood (#19 I think). I checked all the fuses with my volt meter and found it. Not sure why my fuel and volt gauges weren't working because the fuel pump fuse was out, but my Jeep now starts and runs fine and the gauges work. Maybe someone can learn from my experience.

Last edited by shapeb1; 11-04-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: new information