Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Trunk all of the Sudden Does not open

Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Trunk all of the Sudden Does not open

Please help. The trunk of my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee will not unlock, Lock or even open for that matter. It makes a very weird noise when the Auto lock tries to lock it. I don't know the first thing about trying to work on vehicles, but have to now since my husband is deployed. If there is anyone that can possible help I would appreciate that.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I found this, I hope it helps:

1. Straighten out a metal coat hanger and bend a small hook on one end.
2. Remove the top screws on the inner panel.
3. Gently pull the top of the panel open about an inch and shine a flashlight inside the hatch. Mine has the pop up glass which makes this a little easier.
4. Slide the hooked end of the coat hanger inside the hatch while a friend works the release handle up and down.

5. Inside the hatch, at the bottom you will see the release arm moving. Simply hook the arm with the coat hanger and pull up! (I found I could easily reach it with my index finger)
6. It may take a few tries, but the hatch will open easily.

I was able to open my hatch in less than 15 minutes by myself. Once the hatch opens, remove the remaining screws and you will see that the release arm is adjustable. The arm is threaded and simply pops into a metal clamp. Pop it out of the clamp, pull up on the arm to take up as much slack as possible, and pop the arm back into the clamp. Replace the inner pannel and your done.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 PM

I found the emergency release in the back of it and was able to open it that way. I also have the glass, but can not get that to unlock as well. I did know if there was maybe a motor back that there that has to be replaced or as dumb as it sounds, something as simple as a fuse that could be replaced.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

I just fixed a similar issue with mine. If you remove the interior panel from the tailgate, you should have clear visibility to the locking/release mechanism. I had a friend wiggle the handle from the outside slowly while I followed the mechanics with my eyes to figure out where it was getting caught up. Turns out mine just needed some wd40 on a section that was sticking.

Check out this write up addressing the same issue with a different resolution.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rea...97-01-a-31679/