Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep throttle body... bored to 60mm and then a spacer..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 288 Likes on 238 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O
Default Jeep throttle body... bored to 60mm and then a spacer..?

i've been checking out throttle bodies and some accessories...

i found a fully setup bolt-in throttle body thats had the lower half bored to 60mm and i can pick it up for $100... I understand how this helps because it opens the throttle body up more so more air can travel through......

i've also checked out some of the throttle body spacers on ebay and other places and was just wondering.... how does a throttle body spacer help improve throttle response and mpg and such?????

my throttle body on my 96 XJ is not working correctly its more the sensor than anything so when i replace it i was just wondering what the point and actual gains to a bored out throttle body or a throttle body spacer are...

so basically if I should also buy the throttle body spacer or just leave it be

thx for the help guys
Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Model: Cherokee

A throttle body spacer on a XJ is a complete waste of hard earned money. Spacers work on throttle body injected vehicle and the XJ is multiport injected, MPI. Meaning instead of the fuel spraying directly into the throttle body it is sprayed through multiple injectors directly into the intake manifold. A spacer helps a TBI vehicles by increasing the amount of air inside the intake manifold that the fuel has to mix with, more air = more power. Since the injectors on a XJ are located right at the ports for the head, a spacer will not increase airflow. A bored throttle body however, does allow more air by providing a larger opening for more air to be drawn through.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

For the hundred dollars you're going to spend on a TB with only a slight modification, you can get a 62 MM throttle body from ebay or strokedjeeps.com . Also, throttle body spacers are a a waste of money so don't bother with them.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.7

a spacer makes a longer and larger plenum which equals loss of torque and more top end. thats why you see drag cars with high rises and spacers for top end. they are a complete joke so companies make money. is your motor all stock? plus im running a 4.7 stroker and it runs great with the stock tb, i just smoothed it out a bit. oh yeah and the intake would probably need to be bored to mach the tb to get any full affect of it. so i wouldnt waste the money.