Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep running so well and nothing seems to be wrong.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!
Question Jeep running so well and nothing seems to be wrong.

You read it right in the dam title. I am freakin out. After one of the worst mechanical months ever....the XJ project...my 1994 with a 1996 engine...is running perfect. It is the most disturbing feeling thus far.
I guess what really messed with my head is how it seemed to self-heal the idle within the past few days. Last week after I had replaced the TPS and got her running consistently...she was kind of chugging at idle. Like I would hold the brake and the whole engine was kind of jumping around...annoying but drove fine. This was not hunting...I know what that feels like. That was just a rough idle.
So here is the scary part. In the last few days she has started to run perfect. Smooth idle. Perfect acceleration. Starts up quick at any temperature. So yeah I love it to death but I am freakin out. Where did the chug go? Why is it so smooth now? I know part of this post is for comedic purposes and trust me I earned this level of performance but I am just not sure why it happened. I am just waiting now for another catastrophe! Oh well I have to accept it. Still scared though.
I know I am not the only one who has this lack of a problem. Any advice? hahhaha
Until next time.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You just JINX'd yourself!!

Seriously, hard to say, maybe part of the problem the whole time was a little water in the fuel, or bad gas? And it possibly finally worked it's way out of the tank during your trouble-shooting process. I got a big glug of water at a gas fill-up once and after replacing a low of crap I saw moisture at the Carb (different vehicle). It ran like crap and you'd swear it was ignition or fuel management. But even once I knew it was a lot of water it took a lot of bottles of HEET and 2 tanks of gas to get normal operation again. I was astonished it took that long.

Or could have been a sticky lifter, poor wire connection ...something along those lines. Right now, enjoy and conserve your energy, the next issue!!
Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Jeepwalker
You just JINX'd yourself!!
I wanted to say that but did not want to jinx him. LOL.
Bad gas sounds good.
Any chance the computer just learned what it needed to learn to run correctly?
Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I wanted to say that but did not want to jinx him. LOL.
Bad gas sounds good.
Any chance the computer just learned what it needed to learn to run correctly?
That was my theory actually....so now I can never unplug the battery again. Good thing winter is almost over here in NJ anyway and I finally got her running for winter!
I thought about the bad gas too. Anyway the computer is what I am gonna stick with until "Painful jeep repair experiences Round 2" begins!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

On the same note, in the 5 years I've owned my 96 perfect describes the way it runs. It just purrs along at any rpm, most noticeably at idle, without a hint of a miss. I will say the CPS went south on me once but after that it returned to its smooth running state. Never once have I had a code thrown on it. Not a superstitious person at all so I can say this without crossing my fingers (on one hand).