Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep not starting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep not starting!!!

Hello I am new to this forum but have been browsing the Internet for weeks to try and find what's up with my 1995 jeep cherokee xj 4.0l straight 6 auto transmission. I was off roading a few months a go went into a big bog which was up to my head lights I got stuck and I shut the motor down straight away and waited for a tow, after I was out I Tryed to start the jeep nothing so I got towed home to have a proper look at it, fist things first I checked for a spark and on All 6 plugs absolutely nothing as the plugs and ht leads where looking rather shot at anyway I decided to replace them with new while there I replaced the rotor in the distributor as well. As I was getting no spark off my plugs I tryed to see if I was getting a spark from my coil and nothing there, I was then reading on the Internet that the likly cause for no spark and fuel is the crankshaft sensor so I replaced that nothing. I also found I have no fuel pump kick in when the key is turned so I have no fuel in the rail I have tested all fuses in the engine bay and in the drivers footwell they are all ok I have Tryed swapping my asd relay to see if it is that still nothing. All my gauges work on my dash when the key is turned the only light that stays on is the check engine light I have Tryed to run the diganostic test with the key to count the flases and this doesn't seem to work.the car isn't fitted with an alarm are central locking I have also Tryed a friends pcm on the car which made no differance. I don't have access to a diagnostic tester so I am after some help and advice off you thanks

Last edited by Cherokee8; 01-17-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Checking codes .....key on key off key on key off key on quickly ?.............

Last edited by freegdr; 01-17-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello yes I have Tryed that and it doesn't do any thing the check engine light just stays on!! Thanks