Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Engine Noise Progression

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC 4.0L I6
Default Jeep Engine Noise Progression

I bought my '96 XJ 4.0 auto in August last year, 175,000 miles. The engine was fine then, no strange noises. Last month I changed the oil will 5w-30 full synthetic and that is when I first noticed the tick. I figured it was just piston slap from the cold. I have been paying close attention to it and I realized at warmer temperatures it does quiet down, but it is still noticeable.

I also realized I am getting 12mpg which is I am really not happy with considering I only have put on 31" tires and I don't think that will cause that. This made me inspect the exhaust system. I found a manifold crack.

I have four suspicions for the noise:
-Manifold leak
-Thin oil
-Lifter tick
-Piston slap

I ordered an APN manifold and it recently came so I am planning on putting that on sometime soon (I need to get a flex joint to prevent another crack, and that will go on with my new cat because mine sounds like a can of nuts). I will find out if that affects it.

If not, I will move on, flush the crankcase, and change the oil to a thicker and traditional oil because I feel the thin synthetic might being making the engine unhappy. I've also suspected that the synthetic with all the detergents might have clogged a small oil passage and is causing the noise.

If neither of those are the issue I will check my lifters and if not those I will assume is it the piston slap or some other issue and will diagnose it from there.

I will post my progress for anyone who has the issue or is just curious. I can also post a video of the noise if anyone wants it.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

4.0's can be a noisy motor. Some find certain brands/types of oil are quieter than others. Synthetics seemed noisier to me, YMMV.
You have a 1996- the factory cat is under lifetime warranty. Give the dealership a call and see if you are eligible for a free replacement.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:00 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: AMC 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Radi
4.0's can be a noisy motor. Some find certain brands/types of oil are quieter than others. Synthetics seemed noisier to me, YMMV.
You have a 1996- the factory cat is under lifetime warranty. Give the dealership a call and see if you are eligible for a free replacement.
I won't be putting synthetic in again, just because of the cost over traditional oil. And I've heard about this, but I wasn't sure whether it was true or not. I will definitely give them a call. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LucasYost
I won't be putting synthetic in again, just because of the cost over traditional oil. And I've heard about this, but I wasn't sure whether it was true or not. I will definitely give them a call. Thank you.

Here's info on the Cat recall if you need it:
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/pdf/E22.pdf
Old 02-27-2016, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Full synthetic is not bad for your engine. It is not any thinner.
You could be hearing your mani/or exhaust leak. They sound like ticks sometimes.
Fix your mani & install a good gasket with new bolts.
Then give an update.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You will see a decrease in mpg's with the 31" tires over stock as well you have 3.55 and a 4.10 is called for using a 31.