Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee weird smoking problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0HO
Default Jeep Cherokee weird smoking problem?

So I was on the parkway rolling about 60 mph headed for round two of wheeling for the day. (My temp was about one notch over 210) Every now and then Id look out of mirror and see smoke rolling behind me, Id slow down and it would stop. When I got to the meetup spot I crawled underneath my Jeep and noticed transmission fluid leaking out from the bellhousing and onto the exhaust and it was smoking a little bit on top of the exhaust pipe. So I went and picked up a couple bottles of Dex/Merc and went on. On the 40 mph drive for the rest of the way it smoked a few times but not as thick as it was while driving fast. (I should mention that when I checked the tranny fluid way earlier that day it was almost empty and I put a full quart in it). So once we got about half way there and then on the trails it never smoked again and I checked the fluid level a few times and it never dropped?? Even by the slightest. Later on my alternator went out. We towed it to saftey. So I guess when I head that way in a little to fix it well see if theres a puddle of transmission fluid under my Jeep Anybody know what was going on? Possibly ruined a seal from putting different transmission fluid in it than what its been used to for the past who knows how long (Put a quart and a half of Dex/Merc after motor rebuild) or maybe we ruined a seal while dropping the motor in? Any help is appreciated. Worst comes just swap a junk yard tranny
Old 05-01-2017, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Probably a leaking front pump seal in the transmission. What color was the fluid?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:00 PM

Kinda a grayish color, maybe??? Im not very sure
Old 05-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

you checked engine oil?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
you checked engine oil?
yes the motor oil was fine
Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Never experienced grey trans fluid, but you need to rule stuff out. Check the coolant. If the trans cooler is part of the radiator, one or the other may have sprung a leak. If using an auxillary cooler, perhaps it sprung a leak and water got in? But i would think it would still show some red, with lots of bubbles. Doublecheck the trans fluid color. If it is in fact transmission fluid, it will need drained. Possibly more than once. That much i do know.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

See my sig for trans flush. The safe kind.

Also, this stuff really does work.

Sometimes. It stopped a gusher of a leak on the front main seal on my van. Bought me a couple of years before I replaced the seal due to replacing the timing cover due to replacing a water pump. The old seal was just barely weeping. Did the same for the power steering on my Cherokee. Stopped a gusher. Still running with it. No leaks.

In the other hand, it merely slowed the front seal on my Jeep's transmission. So it doesn't always work. But for under 10 bucks, it's worth a shot.