Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee starting problems

Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee starting problems

I have a Jeep Cherokee sport 1997 4.0 v6. 5 speed. My question is what's wrong with the car? I was going up a hill and I stalled a few times and I tried restarting the car and it wouldn't start back up. Everything in the car works, the headlights, radio, ac/heating, clutch. But after stalling those few times she won't start up. Is it the starter?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Check for codes. Even if the CEL is out, there may be something there. If not, does it crank? If yes, check for spark. If not, check fuses.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Check for codes. Even if the CEL is out, there may be something there. If not, does it crank? If yes, check for spark. If not, check fuses.
Can you tell me exactly what to do? I don't know much about cars... is there a way I could post a video of me starting her up?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You can post a video to Youtube, and then copy the link here. It will show up in your post.

Let's go back to the basics: When you say it doesn't start, please describe exactly what that means. Does the starter motor turn the engine over, but the engine doesn't run? Or does the starter not even turn over the engine?

Stick with us - we'll get you through this, and you'll learn useful things in the process.