Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep is acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep is acting funny

On my way to work lastnight jeep was fine no issues shifted ran fine etc. I washed it as I had to be somewhere and I washed underneath the hood while it was running. I drove it home from car wash fine. Start it up this afternoon and 1.) high idle while siting about 1000 rpm 2.) almost as if it was misfireing like surgeing at idol while parked. 3.) while driving stuff the peddle it goes no we're press it multiple times it doesn't change it even if I stuff the peddle from a dead stop it does nothing slowly accelerates, will shut off when reversing or sometimes sitting in park. Did not have this issue before I washed under hood. Took all the sensors off they look fine. Throttle bottle looks fine air filter not clogged plugs are all brandy new. It was fine before I washed it . Had cel read at parts store po700 and 2 other codes for high and low voltage on tps sensor. Was reading some threads tps will cause weird prOblems such as shift issues idle issues etc acceleration issues. So I was wondering what y'all thought it may be ? Again like I said before was fine before I washed under hood and vehicle was running when I did it.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Clean TPS connector with contact cleaner. Verify no corrosion or dampness exsists within the connector. Confirm TPS sensor wiring is not frayed, touching, or corroded.

Also, mucho important, verify battery terminals and posts are corrosion free and making a firm and positive connection.

If that doesn't work, the Jeep is telling you that something is up with the TPS. Verifying the wiring and connector eliminates those variables. What's left is the sensor itself. Replace with a quality MOPAR sensor. Don't skimp out and buy some cheap CHICOM sensor. It will **** the bed on you and then you'll end up buying a MOPAR anyways.

As far as the p0700, I would imagine the TPS is playing havoc with the tranny's mind. I would be hedging to bet that the p0700 will clear after TPS circuit is functioning properly

pip pip cheero

Last edited by CurrySoSpicy; 04-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

rule one,NEVER spray water on the engine. it wont do ANYTHING to the oil layer,might move a little dust if its loose,rarely. will usually cause ??trouble as seen here. in past ive tried engine degreaser. it didnt do much either.
if its running good, leave the hood closed xcept to check fluids, my humble opinion!!

if you use a pressure washer it will penetrate ANY connector or seal, gettin places u dont want water
Old 04-12-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed

Update : Fixed ,replaced TPS had one on my spare throttle body as I'm running a bbk throttle body. Everything is back to normal now.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Yay