Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Issues with 2.8L V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8L V6
Default Issues with 2.8L V6

So I purchased my '85 2 door about a year ago for 1,000. It was probably a little much, but the guy I bought it off had just put in a new engine less than 5k ago and rebuilt the tranny. He also had 15x8 black steels on there, i'm not sure about the backspacing but I know its an upgrade from stock. Here it is when I got it:

Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.8L V6

Anyways I put in a 2" budget boost because I needed new tires bad, but didn't have the money get a real lift and tires, so I stuffed some 31" Duratracs under there with lots of rubbing, but it looks cool.
When I can get the new pictures off my camera i'll start a build thread, but for now there are more pressing issues at hand.
I went wheeling the other day and my jeep performed great the whole time. I was going up and down stuff so steep that I was holding myself back into the seat with the steering wheel so I didn't fall forward.
On the way back I noticed that I had no power at all, I could barely get to 60 on the highway.
Got it back to the apartment here with the intention of washing it and figuring out what was wrong, and when started it again to head out, it was idling really rough and then hesitating / dieing when I gave it some gas and tried to rev the engine. I played with gas pedal to get it past the dying stage, and it sounds like its missing / a cylinder or two might not be firing. It's like there's a gap in the sound of the engine, I don't really know how to describe it. Instead of vroom-vroom it sounds more like the muscle cars / harleys do at idle, with that loping sound?? I feel stupid describing sounds but its the only thing I can do...kind of a vroom-nah-vroom-nah-vroom the pace of which is even and steady, increasing along with the rpm's.
I changed all the spark plugs / plug wires / distributor cap / and rotor, and it sounds "better" now, more throttle respone, cleaner revs, and all of my lights are brighter (wierd).
But the gap in the engine sound is still there, and It has NO power. As soon as I try to put it in gear it dogs down and dies. I had the carburetor rebuilt recently and the symtoms were similar, just without the gap in the engine sound. I tried slipping the **** out of the clutch (while cringing) just so I could get it going, but I couldn't even get it going then. I got as far as the end of the alley and decided it wasn't going to work on the street, so I put it back in its spot.
I'm a newbie, and not crazy mechanically knowledgeable, but I can do most basic stuff and can usually figure out how to do things, it just takes me a long time. I can pull alternators / starters out of boats / cars, and I'm just pretty comfortable around mechanical stuff. I have a pretty good set of hand tools and could buy other things if they are reasonable / cheaper than taking it in to a mechanic.

I was hoping there was something else I could check / do myself because I don't have much money to take it to a mechanic (I'm saving for a real lift kit to be installed over xmas.)
Some ideas I had (possibly ignorant, bear with me i'm learning):
Timing belt? Distributor? Bad coil?
All of the old spark plugs looked normal except for the back two on the passenger side, I referenced them to the pictures in the Haynes repair manual, and it said "TOO HOT"
Please help, I love my jeep and hate it when its not running
Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by humboldt2door
Anyways I put in a 2" budget boost because I needed new tires bad, but didn't have the money get a real lift and tires, so I stuffed some 31" Duratracs under there with lots of rubbing, but it looks cool.
When I can get the new pictures off my camera i'll start a build thread, but for now there are more pressing issues at hand.
I went wheeling the other day and my jeep performed great the whole time. I was going up and down stuff so steep that I was holding myself back into the seat with the steering wheel so I didn't fall forward.
On the way back I noticed that I had no power at all, I could barely get to 60 on the highway.
Got it back to the apartment here with the intention of washing it and figuring out what was wrong, and when started it again to head out, it was idling really rough and then hesitating / dieing when I gave it some gas and tried to rev the engine. I played with gas pedal to get it past the dying stage, and it sounds like its missing / a cylinder or two might not be firing. It's like there's a gap in the sound of the engine, I don't really know how to describe it. Instead of vroom-vroom it sounds more like the muscle cars / harleys do at idle, with that loping sound?? I feel stupid describing sounds but its the only thing I can do...kind of a vroom-nah-vroom-nah-vroom the pace of which is even and steady, increasing along with the rpm's.
I changed all the spark plugs / plug wires / distributor cap / and rotor, and it sounds "better" now, more throttle respone, cleaner revs, and all of my lights are brighter (wierd).
But the gap in the engine sound is still there, and It has NO power. As soon as I try to put it in gear it dogs down and dies. I had the carburetor rebuilt recently and the symtoms were similar, just without the gap in the engine sound. I tried slipping the **** out of the clutch (while cringing) just so I could get it going, but I couldn't even get it going then. I got as far as the end of the alley and decided it wasn't going to work on the street, so I put it back in its spot.
I'm a newbie, and not crazy mechanically knowledgeable, but I can do most basic stuff and can usually figure out how to do things, it just takes me a long time. I can pull alternators / starters out of boats / cars, and I'm just pretty comfortable around mechanical stuff. I have a pretty good set of hand tools and could buy other things if they are reasonable / cheaper than taking it in to a mechanic.

I was hoping there was something else I could check / do myself because I don't have much money to take it to a mechanic (I'm saving for a real lift kit to be installed over xmas.)
Some ideas I had (possibly ignorant, bear with me i'm learning):
Timing belt? Distributor? Bad coil?
All of the old spark plugs looked normal except for the back two on the passenger side, I referenced them to the pictures in the Haynes repair manual, and it said "TOO HOT"
Please help, I love my jeep and hate it when its not running

I would start off by checking the compresson. Not sure if that will have much to do with it because I'm in the same boat as you. Comfortable with tools but not really a mechanic. I think they are 40 bucks at autozone

Amazon.com: Actron CP7828 Professional Compression Tester with Storage Pouch: Automotive Amazon.com: Actron CP7828 Professional Compression Tester with Storage Pouch: Automotive

It will be nice to add to your tool collection anyways. Have you put anything into it lately? Stuff like seafoam can mess things up when it dislodges sludge.
Like i said I'm no real mechanic. But thats were I would start after a tune up. Maybe the plugs are fouled? Pull them and clean them. I had something similar happen with my lumina when I ran seafoam.