Notices
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with 99 xj power window and door lock?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Issue with 99 xj power window and door lock?

soni recently purchased a 99 Cherokee limited. The passenger window switch doesnít allow the passenger to move the window up or down. The driver side controls it just fine though (no the window lock isnít on lol) but also if you mess with the passenger rocker switch enough the door lock actuator in that door and in the lift gate actuate as if you hit the lock button. The door lock switch on the same passenger side doesnít lock the passenger door either and neither does the driver master switch. You can manually lock it but not automatically. Also if you shut the passenger door hard enough the actuator will make a noise as if you tried to lock or unlock the door. What is all of this about?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:33 PM

Anyone?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:09 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Could be a problem with the driver's side wiring. Do the rear window switches work? If not, it's probably the same issue I had. You can gently move the door lock switch on the drivers panel without actually locking the doors. If you move the door lock switch sightly and the lights come back on the passenger door window switch, you've found your issue.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by RealDrJ View Post
Could be a problem with the driver's side wiring. Do the rear window switches work? If not, it's probably the same issue I had. You can gently move the door lock switch on the drivers panel without actually locking the doors. If you move the door lock switch sightly and the lights come back on the passenger door window switch, you've found your issue.
the rear windows work from the driver switch and there own switches. Itís only the passenger window and lock that wonít work. The driver side wiring would cause this on the passenger side? At night The lights on the passenger switch cut in and out on there own.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:14 AM

I found out by pushing on the passenger door lock/window switch area I can make the door locks go off. It locks and unlocks all doors quickly except the passenger. It doesnít do anything to that lock. You can hear it trying to but the lock doesnít move

Last edited by 99xjjunky; 02-26-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Wanted to add more Info without an extra reply
Old 02-26-2018, 08:31 AM

Year: 1999

I took out the switch and resoldered all the connections. I'm not absolutely sure that that's what fixed it but now all my windows go up and down with the switch.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 99xjjunky View Post

the rear windows work from the driver switch and there own switches. Itís only the passenger window and lock that wonít work. The driver side wiring would cause this on the passenger side? At night The lights on the passenger switch cut in and out on there own.
Yes the drivers wiring can cause this, but it would be impairing the rear door switches also. I thought I just had 3 switches bad in mine until I found that info. A quick wiring splice fixed them all. Sounds like your problem is just in the passenger door/wiring. I haven't had that issue yet, but I'll watch this to see what the fix is because I'm sure it will happen to me before long. Good luck
Old 02-26-2018, 01:24 PM

Ok so i realized today that when the passenger switch for the window wasnít working, neither were the switched to any other window, that led me to believe the window lock was messed up on the driver panel. I purchased a passenger and driver side switch assembly today from a local junkyard. I replaced the passenger switch and now the locks arenít freaking out anymore thank god but the passenger lock still doesnít engage automatically only manually, Iím thinking the actuator on that side is bad, you can hear it try to work but it doesnít move. I also replaced the driver side switch in hopes it would cure the window issue. I found that after I replaced the switch the windows still wouldnít work on their own. I then wiggled the wiring that goes to the switch while pushing the driver rear window button and sure enough it started to work. Iím guessing a bad connection in the wiring somewhere. I reassembled the panel and everything and it still works but Iím sure it will go out again when the problem wire has an issue. Iím guessing itís broke and barley making a connection
Old 02-26-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 99xjjunky View Post
Ok so i realized today that when the passenger switch for the window wasnít working, neither were the switched to any other window, that led me to believe the window lock was messed up on the driver panel. I purchased a passenger and driver side switch assembly today from a local junkyard. I replaced the passenger switch and now the locks arenít freaking out anymore thank god but the passenger lock still doesnít engage automatically only manually, Iím thinking the actuator on that side is bad, you can hear it try to work but it doesnít move. I also replaced the driver side switch in hopes it would cure the window issue. I found that after I replaced the switch the windows still wouldnít work on their own. I then wiggled the wiring that goes to the switch while pushing the driver rear window button and sure enough it started to work. Iím guessing a bad connection in the wiring somewhere. I reassembled the panel and everything and it still works but Iím sure it will go out again when the problem wire has an issue. Iím guessing itís broke and barley making a connection
You're probably right about the lock, but as far as the windows go, there is a good write up on here for sorting the wires down by the kick panel on the drivers side to fix the window switches. I'll send you the link if I can find it. A quick Google search should find it. I remember it having pictures and all. It was an easy job and they still work great a couple of years later.