Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Interior Lights in my 1998 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Interior Lights in my 1998 XJ

For some reason my interior lights are not shutting off. Even when I close all of my doors and check the obvious headlight switch to make sure I didn't accidentally turn them on manually. Anybody out there have any ideas? I have a good battery and alt. but it just keeps going dead all of the time. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you
Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Try unscrewing the switch pins in the door jam and unplugging them one at a time to see if the light goes out. Its a little push button switch located on the front side of the door jam halfway up. Make sure all doors are closed except the one your testing. Sort of looks like this
Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Thank you. I will try that. I went around the whole jeep and messed with those pins and just pushed them in and out but it did not seem to do anything. This just happened out of no where. One day I got in my jeep started it up and the interior lights just stayed on for soem reason. Now my battery will not stay charged. I hope that works and thanks again.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 PM

Will those just go out without a notice?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:34 AM

Yep, they just stop working. Unscrew the one at a time and unplug them. When the light goes out thats your bad one. Plug the rest back in and leave that one out with tape on it to hold it to the door jamb so you can pull it back out (need to shove connector back in frame to close the door. It's a junkyard or dealer part only.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the exact same problem that I haven't figured out yet. I still need to check those switch pins. Until you figure out the problem pull out the fuse for the interior lights so you battery doesn't keep going dead.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 AM

Ya know I was going to try that! But I do not know which fuse it is that I need to pull out. It has been so cold outside that I just have not wanted to mess with the pins. Let me know where I can find the fuse panel that would be great. THank you so much for your help
Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

It should be #9...PS This is NOT my fuse box pic but one from Google...Tj
-------------------
Old 01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Yep I believe that is correct. I know its under the hood about 3 or 4 lines back. I could check for sure if you want me too. That looks like a pic of an older fuse box. Mine has more relays and plastic around it. After reading this thread yesterday I figure I would check my switch pins and sure enough it was the drivers side rear. I went to Napa and they ordered it for 8 bucks... not bad for a dealer part! It should be here Monday... it will be nice to have that fixed!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 AM

I did finally pull out the fuse yesterday so thank you guys for your help. Yeah, that fuse controls my radio, speedometer, and other lights too. When it gets warmer I really need to figure out which door pin switch it is that is giving me issues. How do I narrow it down and find out which one is bad? Do I just pull every one of them or what and clean them off or something?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Member

How do I narrow it down and find out which one is bad? Do I just pull every one of them or what and clean them off or something?
They are really easy to check... it should only take maybe 10 minutes to check them all. Just get a socket and un screw them from the door. They have a 3 prong plug that you unplug. Just make sure the wire doesn't slip back into the door. Do that one at a time with all the doors closed except the one you are disconnecting. When you unplug the bad one the interior lights will go off and you know that's the one.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM

Year: 92 laredo

the hatch switch is the first one to go for some reason,, i would start there first and work your way around,, i had two cherokee's that did the same thing and both times it was the one for the hatch,, they get stuck in the open position
Old 12-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Cliff
I have the exact same problem that I haven't figured out yet. I still need to check those switch pins. Until you figure out the problem pull out the fuse for the interior lights so you battery doesn't keep going dead.
where is the fuse for this. Last night i suddenly had it start happening and i just wanna pull the fuse for my interior lights and fix it when i can