Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing coolant system flush valve(s) on a '96 XJ 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Installing coolant system flush valve(s) on a '96 XJ 4.0

Contemplating installing some coolant system flush valves on the old 4.0 and thought I'd ask some advice on where it/they should be placed in the hoses.

Any advice on valve placement and/or procedure?

thanks
Old 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

The plastic tee that you can attach a garden hose too? I suggest avoiding it, the high temperature of the 4.0 engine bay will age the plastic and become brittle. They are known to fail.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would not use those kits. You have to use water from a garden hose with them, and that will introduce minerals into your coolant system. Better just to remove the lower hose and drain, fill with distilled water and a quality system flush. Run it around for a week and then drain, fill with distilled water. Repeat this until it's clear, and then drain and add full strength antifreeze until it's full. Put 50/50 in the overflow tank, and you're good for 30k miles.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by robertj
I would not use those kits. You have to use water from a garden hose with them, and that will introduce minerals into your coolant system. Better just to remove the lower hose and drain, fill with distilled water and a quality system flush. Run it around for a week and then drain, fill with distilled water. Repeat this until it's clear, and then drain and add full strength antifreeze until it's full. Put 50/50 in the overflow tank, and you're good for 30k miles.
Unless you have the hardest water on the face of the planet that is a waste of money. Yes using distilled on the final fill makes sense, but for flushing that is overkill.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Unless you have the hardest water on the face of the planet that is a waste of money. Yes using distilled on the final fill makes sense, but for flushing that is overkill.
I disagree, and at 88 cents a gallon at Walmart I'll do it my way. I use an average of six gallons per 30k mile flush. I'm thinking it might be worth the $5.28. Feel free to hook yours up to a hose and leave the block full of tap water when you fill, but my advice stands.

Last edited by robertj; 02-17-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks both yall...looks like i'm gonna learn something here.

Unfortunately we actually do have the hardest water in the known universe so using distilled for the washes in this particular case prob isn't being too cautious.

But this doing a system flush is new to me so...

Q1. What would be a good quality system flush to use?

Q2. So for the week long flush, fill with only distilled water and the flush treatment...no coolant?

Q3. On the final fill you say use full strength coolant and then 50/50 in the reservoir? Wouldn't this make the system too coolant rich if you're aiming for 50/50 (which is what I usually do).
Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

I would recommend the Prestone. http://prestone.com/enmx/node/1168 It can be use for a quick flush or extended flush. If you read the bottle you'll get what I'm talking about in regards to the extended flush. I do this in the Fall before the freezing temperatures hit, so yes after I drain the radiator I only fill with the flush and distilled water. Then I button it up and drive it normally. Don't do this if you're still experiencing freezing temperatures in your area though for obvious reasons. If you do this when there's still potential for freezing you'll have to use anti-freeze.

When you go through your flush and drain cycles each time you drain your radiator you're leaving a good amount of water and antifreeze in the block. Once you're satisfied that the radiator is draining clear enough, you can put 100% antifreeze in the radiator. By the time you get the gallon and a half or so in there to fill it, you've basically made your system 50/50 due to what's left in the block. Then I put 50/50 in the expansion tank. I've done this with every car I've owned over the last 35 years, and going straight antifreeze usually gives me a slightly better protection reading than 50/50 will. Don't measure it until you've driving it around for a bit just to get everything circulated.

My process is a little long winded, but it's effective and keeps your cooling system a virgin from crap water.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
The plastic tee that you can attach a garden hose too? I suggest avoiding it, the high temperature of the 4.0 engine bay will age the plastic and become brittle. They are known to fail.
^^ That. They're a Chinese timebomb for your cooling system.