Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I'm baffled. Maybe you guys see what I'm missing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default I'm baffled. Maybe you guys see what I'm missing.

I'm trying to fix this lean that my drivers seat has in my '91 XJ. I pulled the seat from the Jeep, and for the life of me I cannot figure out what's causing it.

By the looks of it, the back of the seat is straight and square like it should be, but it seems like the bottom is off center. I snagged a couple of pics.

I'm baffled. Maybe you guys see what I'm missing.-sspx0105.jpg

I'm baffled. Maybe you guys see what I'm missing.-sspx0106.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something that someone else can see. I appreciate any help.

Also, what is the purpose of this black handle? At first I thought the lever to recline, but I thought our early XJ's didnt have reclining seats.

I'm baffled. Maybe you guys see what I'm missing.-sspx0104.jpg
Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not mounted so its really no help.
we dont even know which way its leaning?

put it back in the jeep, snap a pic or two and post it up.
i hear its a common problem though, im new to jeeps. so someone might know exactly whats wrong.

after looking at the picture more intensely, i see that the seat itself is leaning towards the driver door, not the entire thing. i would look into that.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Sitting in the Jeep its the same as on the car port. The lower mount holes are flat just like they'd be in the Jeep. I checked the floor of the Jeep and there is no sag or anything due to rot or rust. And if you look the seat leans towards what would be the driver side door.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99
Engine: 4.0

The actual seat pan is probably bent.... It's a fairly common problem. The pan under the foam is little more than sheet metal and has a tendency to bend over time. The bottom cushion and pan can be removed with just 4 bolts. You could bend it back and weld in some support or just try to find a replacement from a junker the same color.

Just got through welding and putting mine back together My front cross support had broken and I was driving in a rocking chair
Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by HighRoller
The actual seat pan is probably bent.... It's a fairly common problem. The pan under the foam is little more than sheet metal and has a tendency to bend over time. The bottom cushion and pan can be removed with just 4 bolts. You could bend it back and weld in some support or just try to find a replacement from a junker the same color.

Just got through welding and putting mine back together My front cross support had broken and I was driving in a rocking chair
Thank you! So just unbolt the 4 bolts on the bottom of the cushion? Seems simple enough. Sadly, I lack a welder and the skills to use it. However, I do have some skill with the saw and drill. Maybe I can cut some sections of metal and fab up a cross member support or something that bolts in. Also, is it fairly obvious which way the support needs to bent back? Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 91 Limited

What he said ^ and that is to recline. I also have a 91!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Destination XJ
What he said ^ and that is to recline. I also have a 91!
So our seats CAN recline???
Old 12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 91 Limited

Mine do! LOL And I actually have used them so I know its not a fake out. You have to pull up a bit to get them to work. (at least on mine)
Old 12-11-2010, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Destination XJ
Mine do! LOL And I actually have used them so I know its not a fake out. You have to pull up a bit to get them to work. (at least on mine)

I'm glad I know this now lol. So I guess when I do this metal work I'm going to make a spacer to extend the lever to get a better grip on it.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Yep, they recline. It's funny, I never even noticed mine had the lever till I pulled it out this morning As for the seat removal, Yea, just those 4 bolts... A 13mm ratcheting wrench will be your friend!! It can be a tight spot to work and for some reason they use longer bolts in the seat than they do in the brackets. You probably have more room than I did though(mine has all the power seat stuff clogging it up). Check the front cross support (right under the seat pan running left to right/ See pic below) to be sure it's not broke on the right side also.. If it is you'll need to get it welded...

That's were I had to weld mine today... Seems to be a common area for breakage.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

how do you guys get your seats out so easily? theres one bolt on each side that wont come loose on mine. Thats been the only thing to keep me from pressure washing the seats and carpet (that and it being 20 degrees outside)
Old 12-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
how do you guys get your seats out so easily? theres one bolt on each side that wont come loose on mine. Thats been the only thing to keep me from pressure washing the seats and carpet (that and it being 20 degrees outside)
You're not talking about the back bolts to the seat are you?? The ones goin' to the seat support/frame? If so they are different than the front... On the front you remove the bolts from the bottom but in the back they are tack welded on the bottom and you have to squeeze your wrench in the gap on top to get them loose. I discovered this after killing myself for 15 minutes trying to break them loose Felt like a fool!

It's easier and faster to just take out the seat pan and get to them from the top....

Last edited by HighRoller; 12-11-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
Mine had 4 nuts that sat on studs I guess that were pre-molded into the floor. I just took those 4 nuts off and the seat came right out.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
I'm trying to fix this lean that my drivers seat has in my '91 XJ. I pulled the seat from the Jeep, and for the life of me I cannot figure out what's causing it.

By the looks of it, the back of the seat is straight and square like it should be, but it seems like the bottom is off center. I snagged a couple of pics.

Attachment 31680

Attachment 31681

Maybe I'm missing something that someone else can see. I appreciate any help.

Also, what is the purpose of this black handle? At first I thought the lever to recline, but I thought our early XJ's didnt have reclining seats.

Attachment 31679
bent seat pan they come apart got new from jy